Fishing Rod Carriers For Roof

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 10:08
ThreadID: 34792 Views:6568 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

We currrently carry our fishing rods in a rola rack setup - locks them in place along rola rack - and works well. You lie the rods on the rack, and then the rod holder bar comes down over the top and locks them in place. It makes them quick and easy to access and they have a key lock for security.

The only problem is that we need more storage space on the roof (trip around OZ) and therefore will need to change roof rack setup. I am looking at something along the more traditional tray rack setups that you see - ARB/Jarram or similar.

Ideally - I do not want to put my fishing rods into a tube - and don't want to just put them on the rack with an ockie strap (fussy aren't I :)).

So my question is - has anyone seen a fishing rod attachment that is similar to what I currently have but that would attach to one of these more heavy duty tray setups.

I hope this makes sense.

Any advice, alternatives, thoughts etc much appreciated.

Thanks
Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 11:04

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 11:04
Can only comment on our set up which is a tube(100mm pvc).I put our rods into seperate bags then all into the tube,there a snug fit and so far no damage to any of them.
AnswerID: 177806

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 11:09

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 11:09
G'day Alan,
How long are the rods? & how many?...

Here's some "food for thought"...
I carry 2 (7' gp, & 6' baitcast) rods permanently inside the vehicle (GU).. (no roof rack)..
The are velcro'd to the hood lining (driver's side) w/- double-sided velcro 'round the grab-handle at the rear to hold the butt end(s),.. The 6footer is inside a cloth "sock" (which SWMBO made) so the 2 don't rub against each other... can do the same on t'other side if I wish, and/or a whole bunch o' 2-piece rods (broken down, strapped & wrapped) can go behind the 2nd row seats (or if the camper is in tow, they'll be in there somewhere)...
In case ya didn't know, the hood lining on GU patrols (early ones anyway) holds velcro (hook side) very well indeed:-))....

The above may not suit you, but it works for me, & I don't even notice the "permanent residents" in day-to-day driving (Indeed, we've had back-seat passengers on a few occasions who didn't notice the fishin' rods above their heads:-)

Regards, Ed. C.

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 177807

Reply By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 13:10

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 13:10
Alan,
If your planning on getting a roof rack, a few places can design a side on rod holder that is welded to you rack. Its out of the way when not being used and same setup as ur rola to lock rods in. Ask around.

Ange
AnswerID: 177817

Reply By: Alex H - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 16:54

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 16:54
just a thought...could you mount the Rola rod holder vertically on the side of the tray rack with the hinge end at the gutter and the lock at the top?
Cheers,
Alex
AnswerID: 177842

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 20:59

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 20:59
With good quality surf rods and GP rods being so cheap nowadays, I have bought two-piece rods and keep them in cloth rod bags from the tackle shop [ also cheap ] tied with a shoe lace to stop them rattling.

Now the only one-piece rod we have is Jacqui's 8ft ugly stick which is tied to the hand grabs along the passenger side using velcro rod straps, also cheap from the tackle shop. It goes from the very back of the car to under the sun visor at the front.

It is so out of sight that it is still there from our easter holiday LOL
AnswerID: 177872

Reply By: ozidave - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 20:07

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 20:07
Hi Alan, I had the same problem recently. I bought a shovel / rod holder from ARB which had a rhino rack attachment (ie a little square washer which fits into a channel shape on rhino bars). Then I bought some unistrut from an electrical wholesaler (Turks sell it). I cut two short lengths of unistrut & attached it to the side of the roof rack using the roof rack's own bolts (the ones that hold the legs on). The rhino mounts are the same as unistrut, so the front & back rod holders mounted straight onto the unistruts.
Hope that helps
Ozidave
AnswerID: 178126

Sponsored Links