Which hitch?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:04
ThreadID: 34805 Views:2642 Replies:14 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
HI all,

Some brainstorming please,

Treg or hyland hitch. I've had a bit of a search of the archives but no real "expert"
opinion.

I've read you can use an equalising hitch with the hyland. Is this correct?
What about with the treg?

I've read that the treg is more difficult to lineup and couple? Is this true?

I'm single and travelling alone? Maybe a rear camera could solve that one!

From a useability perspective is either one that much better? And more adaptable to onroad/offroad applications and towing stability?

I tow my jetski regularly so a ball is always on the vehicle. This fact is not to sway my preference for a hitch of either type.

More ease of coupling and useability.

Garth

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PhilD - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:16

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:16
If you are seriously towing offroad, the Vehicle Components AT35 coupling is brilliant. If not, then either the Treg or Hyland will be good for your purposes.
AnswerID: 177878

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:30

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:30
Got a TREG on on our camper,so far have found it good and find it very easy to couple .Carnt comment on the Hyland.
AnswerID: 177879

Reply By: Doggy Tease - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:46

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:46
Travelling alone, then honestly, dont get the treg.
We have one on the Jayco, and it is a real pain to hitch when i am by myself.

meow.

rick.
AnswerID: 177881

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:46

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 22:46
We fitted the AT35 for maximum movement and easy coupling (although more accuracy needed than with any ball hitch). On several occasions my husband has hitched the caravan on by himself quite quickly (like when i was coming back from the bathroom to help). Although we bought 2 cameras and one is in the back of the Patrol, we haven't used it. He just adjusts the junk in the back so he can see straight through the car and backs on. Vehicle components who make the AT35 also have a conical hitch - which is still a ball hitch so has limitations, but with a cone it is incredibly simple to hitch up.

If you are not going to travel on severe dips and crests, stick with the ball if you want to keep it easy for you to hitch up by yourself.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 177882

Reply By: Twinkles - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 23:11

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 23:11
I have a treg on my camper. Always load it up by myself. I like the damping effect of the nylon block.
AnswerID: 177885

Reply By: OzRoamer - Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 23:17

Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 23:17
Cape York Trailers only use the AT35 on all the Camper Trailer range.

There are cheaper makes on the market so price is not the reason......
AnswerID: 177886

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 00:10

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 00:10
I have been running TREG hitches now for a number of years on trailers and have had no issue with them. I have also towed the trailer over some extreme country and no problems either except that marks have been left on the metal frame when the trailer has pushed the hitch beyond its limit.

TREG is a tried and tested unit. It is a matter of choice, of course. Other hitches may be better.

I have no issue with hitching up in the scrub(or on the flat) either and do it on my own. A reversing camera or angled mirror would help though.
AnswerID: 177888

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 00:39

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 00:39
Garth,
I believe you have answered your own question(s)....

AFAIK, yes, you can use an equalising set-up with the Hyland coupling..
(don't know about the Treg)

Is the Treg more difficult to line up?.. I don't know, I have a Hyland (easy to hook up, same as any ball coupling), but I guess it would depend on the weight of the trailer & how easy it is to manoeuvre.. In any case, I'm not about to change to any other type of coupling...

Single and travelling alone?? A ball coupling has only to be "near enough" and it'll usually self-align as it drops onto the ball....

Useability (as in off-road-ability)?? Can't say whether one type is better than the other, but IMO the Hyland has just as much articulation (fore & aft, & lateral) as any of the alternatives.. It is also very rubust, and AFAIK , available up to 3500kg rating ..I believe Kedron Caravans use 'em on their off-road 'vans ...

A ball is always on the vehicle?? .. 'Nuff said!!

Ease of coupling, & useability?? .. Well, I claim no "expert" knowledge, but my current _off-road_ campertrailer has a Hyland coupling (specified by me).. I'm having a replacement built "as we speak", and it too will have a Hyland coupling when completed... Make of that what you will;-))

Regards, Ed. C.

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 177891

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 09:17

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 09:17
Hi Garthski,

I can not comment first hand about the treg, as I have never used one.

When I did similar investigation, I aske dthe same questions, and settled with a hyland hitch.

From personal experiance only, I have been very happy with the hyland, never let me down, and done the job well. Very easy to hokk up and unhook.

If you would like any other specific info, please shoot me an email or member message

Hpe this helps

TonyG

AnswerID: 177911

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 11:14

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 11:14
Garth,

From your comments re the Jetski, The Hyland hitch is probably your best choice as you wont need to change the ball.

Having said that, it's no bother to swap from a ball to the Treg receiver.

I use the Treg and don't have any problem with line up and conecting.
The big advantage of the Treg Coupling is in their silent operation due to the inclusion of the poly block. The treg is the most common of the off road couplings and spare parts (should you need them) would be more readily available.
They are low profile so opening the rear door of my vehicle is a no brainer.

One other advantage of the Treg is that you never get grease on your pants leg, because they don't require greasing. A minor detail maybe, but still relevant.

Take a look at the various type here:- Campertrailers.Org - Couplings
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 177930

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 12:39

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 12:39
That's a god little link. I have an Orac, just to be different. Bit of a pain to line up but does the trick! I have 2 hitch's - one with the orac coupling and the other with a ball.

Leroy
FollowupID: 434070

Reply By: mattie - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 16:45

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 16:45
Hi
i have a treg on the kk had no probs with it the at35 to me looks to be the strongest (the car part of the trailer connection) but will both be the same to connect, the hyland coupler i would not recomend after travelling be hind an off road jayco type van along the tar 20 or so kms before the bungles turn off when the yolk holding the ball coupler sheared off the swivel shaft which is attached to the draw bar which gives the lateral pivet then was left hanging by the safety chains at 100km/h quite an experience as i was right behind waiting for a place to overtake and also for the poor chap driving the tow vehicle.

Mattie
AnswerID: 177960

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:18

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:18
Could it be that a lack of maintenance contributed to this failure??

All couplings that have a similar swivel arrangement require the swivel components to be greased on a regular basis.. If this is neglected for long enough, then dust/moisture ingress & lack of use will surely cause the shaft to bind in the housing to the point where it will sieze solid..
Result, the shaft twists & must sooner or later break!!

Bit unfair to blame the manufacturer if this was the case........

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 434152

Follow Up By: mattie - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:24

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:24
Hi Ed
the coupling bracket sheared through the weld not twisted off and yes it looked well greased so i would have to disagree and blame the manufacturer, he was very lucky it didn't fail across the Tanami.

Mattie
FollowupID: 434154

Reply By: Bros 1 - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 19:26

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 19:26
Garthski,
Got an ORAC on my C/T. Much the same as the others. Have two tongues (one for boat, one for C/T). Just change the tongues over to which one i will be using.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 177983

Reply By: markcas - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 19:39

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 19:39
Hi Garth

I had used a Treg and now have the Hyland.The treg was just to hard to line up in the soft sand (with the wife helping).The hyland just goes straight on no hassles it is rated to 3.5 tonne.It can be used on any vehicle with a tow ball. no messing around and you all ways have your tow ball fitted to your vehicle.We had a problem with ours not turning 360.After 1 Phone call we had someone at our place fixing it 2 days later.Fitted new grease nipples serviced the unit FREE of charge any thing else i can help you with just call.Thats what i call great service !

Mark
AnswerID: 177987

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:25

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:25
Rellies of ours in Brissie have an off-road van with a Hyland coupling...

A few years ago, there was a problem with the coupler (I don't recall the exact nature of the problem)... A phone call to Darren Hyland, and he came to their house & replaced the coupling, FREE of charge!!

Ya just can't get better service than that!!
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 434155

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:37

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:37
I have not used any of the others mentioned except the Hyland model. It was recommended to me by a large number of people on this and other offroad caravaning sites. I have found it a very easy unit to line up and connect without any hassel. Even the wife has got it right (sometimes) which is a bit of a pleasure for me.

We do use our Jayco Freedom outback on many rough roads and have not had any problems (fingers firmly crossed).

I would suggest that a walk around at caravan parks spesking with owners will get som varied uimpuit to to query.

I'm sure that whatever you finally select will be the right one for you.

Cheers, Patrick
AnswerID: 177998

Sponsored Links