Squealing noise in Diff lock

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 10, 2006 at 23:45
ThreadID: 34806 Views:1458 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I need help, The rear of my GQ patrol with Diff Lock , has a squeal noise like if you have blowen up a balloon and stretch the top and let the air out slow. It dos'nt happen all the time and when it does its lound. Only when you are moving either slow or fast forward or reverse. But not while the car is still with the motor still going. The variation in sound dosnt change in speed of vehicle from slow to fast.
It can go all day without doing any thing then the next day its like all the time. It can Comes and go any time. First thing in morning when cold or even after 1 hour drive. It has know given time, or for how long it stays on. To me It sounds like a air vacuum , The diff lock works, found that out when turned it on and slowly drove off and turned all ok I can feel it realy crab on the road. Ive changed brake rotors and pads thinking it was them. Then new vacuum hose's to diff and checked out fuel lines. When I walk slowly next to it whilst my missis drives it, it deffinatly comes from behind ( inside ) RH rear wheel, Ive also check out the fuel breather valve all ok and tried driving with fuel cap off, noise still there. Could it be the vacuum unit on the diff if so how do u check or fix ?? We have had a vacuum machine on last week it made no noise or change in pressure

Becoming realy annoying
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 05:24

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 05:24
Jack the rear of the car up and chock the front wheels and turn it and see what you can hear....not sure what else to tell you
AnswerID: 177896

Follow Up By: Recyled Teenagers - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 15:55

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 15:55
Thanks TROLL 81,

I will give it a try will let you know how I go

From Recyled Teenagers
FollowupID: 434260

Reply By: STEVE069 - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 10:32

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 10:32
Hi, This sounds like a tough one, try disconnecting the vacume lines at the difflock plug them up with a screw and try again. If noise is gone then you have a vacume leak after the point you disconnected. Give it a try

Steve
AnswerID: 177919

Follow Up By: Recyled Teenagers - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 15:56

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 15:56
Steve, Good idea thanks

George
FollowupID: 434261

Sponsored Links