Histroy research.

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 14:37
ThreadID: 34824 Views:2059 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all, hope some one out there can help.
I am trying to get info about Fremantle's history, just a small slice of it actually. I would like to know what was originally built next to the church on Adelaide street in Freo. But i wouldn't have a clue where to find such records. Have looked at the museum website and there is no help there.
I'm looking for the info to satisfy curiosity about some old bottles i found there. One is a Udolpho Wolfe Schnapps bottle (M.Moss & Co), and the othe is a Mellin's Infant Food (London). There are a few others that i found, but they have no markings on them.
If anyone could point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it.

meow.

rick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 15:12

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 15:12
Try Fremantle Historical Society 08 94329739.

Viv
AnswerID: 177955

Reply By: Dave198 - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 19:35

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 19:35
Doggy tease, our local Library has got records of the householders and the information on when various houses and buildings were built in each street.
I traced when our house first appeared on the records, but it was a matter of looking at a few different town plans of the time. I did have an idea it was in the first few years of 1900 though, so that narrowed down the search somewhat.
Maybe the local Library there would have similar town plans.
Maybe a bottle collector could give you some idea of the vintage, and that would be a start for you.
Dave
AnswerID: 177985

Reply By: Doggy Tease - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 21:30

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 21:30
Hiya Viv, tried the historical society, didn't get much of an answer except...try the library...

Hiya as well Dave, see above,,,,lol.
Been having a look at the Bottle collecting web pages,,,,,geez there are heaps,,,,and have figured out that the bottle are from around 1895-1905.
A few of the other bottles appear to be medicine bottles from the same era, so that has got me thinking, as to what was there originally.
I'm not interested in monetary value, just historical curiosity i guess.
Whilst the truck was getting loaded, i had a bit of a scratch around, and from the look of it, they used to dig a hole, fill it with rubbish, then dig another when the first was full. What surprised me was that none of the holes were more than 2-3 feet deep, and there were heaps of them. As the "line" of holes get closer to Adelaide St, the stuff in them gets "newer"...as in the last thing i found was a "Ponds Cream" bottle from the 50's.
Being next to a church i thought that maybe it was originally a pastor's house, but would love to know for certain, and maybe try and date the occupants against what i found, if you know what i mean.
I had a good look for the company M.Moss & Co Limited and could find nothing on the web at all.
The Mellins Infant Food bottle as far as i can tell contained a early form af what we know as baby formula....who would ever have thought that it was around over 100 years ago????????lol
Unfortunatelly i'm not on that job on Monday, so everything will be gone by then...
:(:(:(.
Ah well, will keep looking and maybe some of our ummmm,,,elder members/visitors may be able to shed a bit of light.

meow.

rick.
AnswerID: 178007

Sponsored Links