Brisbane Caravan and camping show - gennies

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 18:12
ThreadID: 34828 Views:4017 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from a huge day at show, everything a camping man needs there. Sand spears, water heaters, generators, fridges ect ect.
Looked in particular at 1kva gennies, Yammy and honda, and must say seemed very quite both models. Although i would like to hear them out of the enviroment they were in to get a true indication of noise level. I must admit though, they are very quite, and has left me a little envious as the kipor 1kva i bought recently seems a litttle noisy in comparison. Has anyone else found this. I must not complain though i did get mine for $600, under half the price of the others mentioned.
Also looked at one of those primus hot water shower thingies. (comes in blue metal box) They run off gas. Has anyone hads any experience with these.

Cheers
Freezer
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 18:39

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 18:39
"Also looked at one of those primus hot water shower thingies. (comes in blue metal box) They run off gas. Has anyone hads any experience with these?"

Yes, I had one they are way too fiddly & sensitive, sold it & bought a Coleman, couldn't be happier!

AnswerID: 177982

Follow Up By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 19:00

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 19:00
Have not heard of a coleman .......... was considering a Twine, have you got any photos of the coleman etc etc

Thancks
Brian
FollowupID: 434131

Reply By: keepkampen - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 19:42

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 19:42
hi Freezer, as Brian said the" coleman hotwater on demand " is a top potable hotwater system. i have one as well and they are very easy to use. around $350 i think and not sure what the primus ones a worth but only ever heard negative storys on them. and i was at the show today as well, they would have made a doller or two on gate sales as it was packed. top day. good luck on your decision with hot water systems. Peter
AnswerID: 177989

Follow Up By: FREEZER - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:45

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:45
The coleman one your talking about, is it the one the runs of the little throw away cylinders. Can you use them as a shower. I am also going to look into the glind as well. Looks like a good system.
The show was great. i agree, they would have cleaned up, between parking costs, food and gate entries they would make a tidy profit you would imagine.
I thought one of the niftiest things i seen and only$12 was the peggless clothes line. Awesome idea.
FollowupID: 434157

Follow Up By: Member - Barry C (NT) - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 21:11

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 21:11
Freezer 2 bob tip,,, most 3 strand nylon rope (any some sisal rope) is pegless cloths line. Twist and insert clothes, so don't need to buy one specifically.

Cheers Barry
FollowupID: 434165

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 21:24

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 21:24
The show has been great.

We have been so busy that we have had no time to eat or even see the other stands. I am fully booked for installations for June and 1/2 of July and it was nice to meet many of the ExplorOz members.

Thank you for popping in and saying hello.

The Honda's and Engel's are great units and my own Honda Eu20i has been fantastic an starts first pull every time.

Regards Derek and Izabel.

AnswerID: 178005

Follow Up By: Member - qld_bushpig - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:10

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:10
Hi Derek

We were at the show but you were so busy we decided not to interupt you. Thanks for all the great work on our Hilux. Hope you have a great show
Cheers
Jack & Linda
FollowupID: 434229

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 20:08

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 20:08
Hi Jack & Linda

Yes we have been flat out.

Looks like we will have a few months of run on work from the show.

Sorry to have missed you.

Regards Derek.
FollowupID: 434301

Reply By: lifeisgood - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 21:25

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 21:25
Hi Freezer?, ( Bit like Melbournes weather at present ! !) The Honda gennies at the recent Melb. c/van show were also impressive. Extremely quiet at idle but if you load them up with a toaster or kettle you know they are working but still not bad. My 2 stroke $98 GMC 800watt is way too noisy to be close to.
My 4 stroke $300, 2000w Aldi special works well but still much bigger and noisier than Hondas 20i which is a very compact unit. But then those prices??? ouch even with show special rebates. Hopefully China can learn from the Japs and come out with similar units at 1/3rd the cost sometime in future??
AnswerID: 178006

Reply By: Member - John R (NSW) - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 07:35

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 07:35
Freezer, we have the Coleman. Fantastic unit IMHO. It can run on disposable cylinders, or you can purchase an adapter hose for 20-30 bucks and run the unit off conventional gas cylinders.

There are 2 shower attachments (hose length) that you can get. Forget the shorter of the two as it severely limits where you can place the unit/shower head. I had the shorter one as it was the only one available. I bought 3m of similar hose and refitted the plastic fittings to this. It's fantastic now.

I've read here that a few people have changed the shower rose over for one that's better.

One advantage it has is the ability to give you water hot enough for beverages in a couple of seconds. Apart from a camp fire (free), that's got to be more economical than some other heating methods using gas etc.
AnswerID: 178036

Sponsored Links