Door open light on Patrol

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:05
ThreadID: 34833 Views:1696 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I've found a small problem with my new 3L Patrol. The door open warning light on the dash likes to come on of its own accord. Even after having ensured all doors are securely shut it will occasionally stay lit. I do recall reading that Patrols sometimes have this problem and it's linked to the rear barn doors, but I was wondering how wide spread the problem is? I will be going back to the dealer during the week to get them to have a look at it, so I was also wondering if there are any easy fixes to the problem? Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rustytruck - Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:20

Sunday, Jun 11, 2006 at 20:20
Hacksaw,
My Patrol did exactly the same thing and despite complaining to the dealer they gave me an assurance that it was quite OK. Didn't come on during a drive around the block I was told. Took it to another dealer and a quick adjustment fixed it. Would have tried it myself but desite all my efforts I couldn't loosen the screws and didn't want to tear the heads out. Haven't had another problem in the last five and a half years.

Rusty
AnswerID: 177996

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 03:46

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 03:46
AAaa yes, I had this problem for weeks but only happened when off road. But I ended up turning the inside lights off. Then when I did a night drive I needed the inside light to look around. Then I started searching and found the seal around the back barn door had a crack in, I just taped it up with some tape and all sweet.
AnswerID: 178029

Follow Up By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 04:14

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 04:14
Taped it up with tape, eh? Personally, I like using tape when I tape things up too. ;-)))
Sohowsaboutthewelcomehomegathering? You'vebinawayawhilesoyoumightneedsomelanguagetherapy
Speshly Straylyen
FollowupID: 434214

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 08:36

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 08:36
yea yea call me lazy if you like. I have not had time to get to the wreckers to flog one of a another patrol....but it's time will come
FollowupID: 434218

Reply By: drifta - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:26

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:26
Have the same problem with mine. I found sometimes it's the rear doors. Most of the time it's the passenger door on the drivers side. The little rubber boot that covers the switch gets pulled of the end of the switch thats inside it and bends to the side when I shut the door. It does not actually come off the switch all together it's just like an extra bit of skin on the end that folds over causing the trouble. Funny thing is it's only ever done it on this one door.

Drifta
AnswerID: 178042

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 15:01

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 15:01
Done the same thing on my Patrol, I fixed it myself by sticking on of those door stoppers that you stick on the wall to stop your door denting the plaster on to where your rubber connector hits the trigger switch at the bottom of the door,
works fine,
Dave
AnswerID: 178082

Reply By: Pilbara Wayne - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 15:58

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 15:58
I just removed the door trim from the larger of the two rear doors and disconnected the plug. The switch on the other smaller door will tell me if the back doors arent shut properly.

Never had a problem since!
Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 178088

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 20:16

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 20:16
I did the same, but on both the barn doors. No need anyway as far as my cargo area is concerned.....I've removed the globe in the ceiling and have a cordless LED light mounted, which I can turn on whenever I need it.
FollowupID: 434305

Reply By: brian - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 21:05

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 21:05
me too rear barn doors moving slightly...
AnswerID: 178147

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 22:56

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 22:56
Ours drives my husband crazy (i doesn't really bother me). He tried putting something to press the switch on the rear door in harder - successful for only a short while. Bought a new switch and fitted that - lasted a few weeks. The light is on all the time now. I said stick black tape over the spot on the dash so you can't see it - he did, but it doesn't quite cover it - he can still tell it's on. If we cover up any more we won't see if the headlights are on full beam.

If your's is new, definitely get the dealer to get it fixed, and let us know what it was in your case.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 178175

Follow Up By: Hacksaw - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 08:00

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 08:00
Will let yopu know for sure, but just my luck, it hasn't happened again since I've been back in Melbourne. From what I can tell it's mainly to do with the large barn door not quite shutting properly, or at least not well enough to trigger the switch. I'm going to let the dealer know about it anyway, so at least it's on record if it continues.
FollowupID: 434369

Sponsored Links