SW WA at Christmas

Submitted: Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 12:51
ThreadID: 34846 Views:1583 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I seek advice from our Western Australian forumites about the weather at Christmas.

I am contemplating driving across the Nullabor and visiting SW of WA during Christmas period as it is the only chance I have to take several weeks leave required for such a trip.

Any comments about the heat and rain during Christmas period will be appreciated. I realize it may not be the best time of year but it is the only time I can get at present.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 13:39

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 13:39
Alan, did that trip years ago with wife and two little kids, no aircon or fridge. Bad move. Perth very hot indeed. But it was much worse coming back in January. Dust storms etc and when we got back we had a week of heatwave conditions at home.
With air con and a fridge (and I'd recommend window tinting) it shouldnt be too bad unless you are taking small kids.
AnswerID: 178067

Reply By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 13:39

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 13:39
Most likely to be beach weather along the coastal areas of the SW. In fact it is the main tourist season so accomadtion rates are at the higher end of the market.

On driving over the Nullabour - make sure you have a good air-conditioner. You will feel the heat the moment you get out of your car whenever you stop.

Jeff
AnswerID: 178068

Reply By: J.T. - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 14:16

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 14:16
Hi Alan.
I live in Margaret River and we have just had the driest and sunniest (albiet a bit cold) autunm for over two decades.However christmas time the last few years has been cool and quite a bit of cloud.Not a lot of rain but overcast.As said above it,s bloody busy down here but i would recomend various camp spots like Boranup forrest and Conto,s beach.They have toilets and are amonst the trees in beautiful forrest.The seasonal weather seems to be about 2-3 months late at the moment.It,s also quite windy over suumer but there are plenty of bays to escape wind i.e. Around Dunsborough and Eagle Bay.Sorry for waffling hope it helps.
AnswerID: 178073

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 01:23

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 01:23
And what JT forgot to say is Dunsborough & Ego bay, while being absolute top spots for watching surfing, birds, girls, doing some fishing and having a beer, they are not called millionaires row for nothing!
FollowupID: 434359

Reply By: Jacked off - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 14:20

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 14:20
Hi Alan

As stated the Nullabor can be hot at this time of the year. Make sure you carry plenty of spare water and other cooling beverages just in case the car or youself get too hot on the crossing.

SW WA is a grreat place to visit all year round. It can be quite warm in summer so be prepared.

Just a warning though, once you have been there, you will probaly want to go back there again
AnswerID: 178074

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 16:24

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 16:24
Thanks everyone for your comments. Maybe western NSW will be the hot spot.

I would certainly have full water/food etc and service the air conditioner before the trip.

Thanks again. I am sure we will enjoy the SW
AnswerID: 178090

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:41

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:41
You're considering western NSW as SA/WA are too hot! We've done both trips...the trip across the Nullabor is as they describe...next time we do it winter....

Travelled through West NSW Christmas last year and January, never again at that time of the year....Gold Coast, Newcastle to Adelaide via Parkes and Hay with return via Broken Hill, Cobar, Gilgandra to the Gold Coast....thank heaven for some storms along the way to cool things down.

We're staying put this year and enjoy our Gold Coast beaches instead..

Best of Luck....

FollowupID: 434375

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 18:14

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 18:14
Generally south west summers are dry and hot (but not hot as in north and inland hot) just hotter than our mild winters. We can expect only a few days over the old 'century' (38 degrees Centigrade). You're from Queensland - you'll probably find it cool! Get down into the beautiful karri forests and it is just lovely. So is the south coast (although afternoon sea breeze can get chilly). Sometimes we get a summer thunderstorm which can bring humidity and rain. Perth is hotter and more humid than the south west, but a sea breeze can help.

We holidayed and crossed the Nullabor January this year and last. Last year we bought a gennie for the air con, and used only a few times, but it was most welcome. Crossing the Nullabor was mild, but we used the air con in the car on hot days.

Peak coastal holiday spots can be crowded or full during January.

Climate change is doing bizarre things, so nothing is guaranteed. We are generally getting more hot and humid days, but last year lit the fire between Christmas and New Year, and again a few days during January - unheard of! Who knows what will happen this year - we are not getting any rain.

You will enjoy the trip over here and love your holiday.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 178106

Sponsored Links