AM-FM radio ariel replacement - 80 Series

Submitted: Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 18:44
ThreadID: 34862 Views:1720 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I need to replace the radio ariel. The cable enters high up inside the left guard near the A-pillar. From there it goes between the air-con/heater setup and firewall behind the dash. Ive tried to thread a new cable in this way but without any luck. I suspect the dash has to be removed as well as the heater/air con. Not bloody likely!!! Only other way I can figure is to drill a new hole in the firewall and feed it under the heater.

Anybody with an 80 series had experience?? I don't really want to drill new holes if at all possible but I'm not about to pull the dash out! I thought about taking the guard off but that seems a bit extreme for a ariel replacement.

Too late to cut the cable and put a joiner into the new cable. Seems to be an extreme lack of firewall access points in these vehicles.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Karl - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 19:00

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 19:00
Tony,

Unfortunately you have to remove the front of the dash to get the radio out as there is no other way. I have done this twice now (replacing the arieal) and on the second occassion I got an extension lead from Supercheap which goes from the back of the radio to behind the glove box and sits there - so now if I have to replace the arieal I simply remove the glovebox and unplug it. When removeing the dash it's not hard - just be careful and there are three (from memory) srews located behind the ashtray that have to be undone to remove it.

Mine is a 91 80 series - pre 95 models have a different dash to post 95 models which I believe are easier to get at the radio.

As far as the arieal it's self I first replaced the old motorised one with an Areopro (?) standard arieal and I simply ran the cable from the base of the arieal to the firewall and passed it through the large rubber grommet and then to the extension lead behind the glove box. Removing the old motorised arieal was a bit of a pain but I never removed the guard or had to drill any holes.

First time I replaced the arieal I watched my brother in law do it as he was an auto electrician and took him about 1/2 hour - the second time I did it myself and took about 2 hours - mostly with carefully removing the dash.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 178113

Follow Up By: Tony J - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:16
Thanks Karl. Mine is a 97 model. Removing the radio is the easy bit. Ive done that several times for various reasons. The hard part is the cable from the ariel to the radio. I looked at the rubber grommet you mentioned but the size of the electrical cable passing through that makes it a bit tight. I will have another look at it though as the original factory path is just impossible without dismantling the whole dash. Pity the manufacturers don't think of these things when they assemble the vehicles.
FollowupID: 434388

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 12:42

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 12:42
I drilled a hole in the fire wall then primed it (painted) then put siclican around the hole lot. better than taling out the dash.
AnswerID: 178246

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 15:32

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 15:32
You'd have no luck trying to put a joiner on- Its like trying to solder a fishing line. The co-ax core melts before the solder does. Go the new hole- either drill one out or cut one of the nipples open on the rubber bungs on the firewall and go through that
AnswerID: 178269

Reply By: Hairy - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 18:00

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 18:00
Thread your new cable from the ariel through your fire wall, take out your glove box and that electrical box in behind it and put a coax joiner in there. You might find it easier if you take out the panel where your left hand speaker goes.
Good luck
Cheers
AnswerID: 178301

Sponsored Links