FJ62 Instrument under Alien Control

Submitted: Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 21:52
ThreadID: 34874 Views:1469 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

Ok this is FREAKY, so im driving down the freeway and all of a sudden my oil temp guage shoots sky high to its max so i pull over... turn off the car wait a while and turn it back on... seems fine... next time the same thing happens i noticed the petrol guage actually shoots all the way over Full even its its got 1/4 tank in it... So both the top instruments to their maximum...

Any ideas as to what this could be? i have checked the obvious things, oil, coolant, atp oil. All seem fine..

Can anybody help me? My air intake hose/pipe is split, could this be causing this?

Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 22:12

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 22:12
Did the engine seem excessively hot when you pulled over ? Smell of burning etc ? Or pretty normal ?
How long has the air inlet pipe been split ?
Did it happen on bumps or uneven road surfaces ?
Otherwise is it an earth on the instrument cluster system ?
Pulled and prodded the electrics ?
AnswerID: 178167

Reply By: the real chopper - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 22:13

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 22:13
same thing happens on my troopy!

something to do with a dirty sender unit if i recall correctly, (not that I care, truck hasn't blown up yet)
AnswerID: 178168

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 22:46

Monday, Jun 12, 2006 at 22:46
There is also a fuse of some type behind the dash that when it plays up, gives odd results. However AFAIK you don't have an oil temp guage as standard, so can't help with that one. Unless you're meaning the Oil Pressure Guage on bottom left - then given both gauges are in the same unit, my guess is this resistor/fuse gizmo behind the dash.

I've hunted down some links at the best site I know for our series, trust they're useful - and funny how other posters say they think they're going nuts too! You're not alone :-)
forum.ih8mud.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27 is the main forum, with search results as per below.

Site Link
Site Link
Site Link

REgards
Tim
AnswerID: 178173

Reply By: Dave198 - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:15

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:15
Cipher, I have had the same problem with my HJ61, but with the Temp guage.
Everything looked fine on the dash, but a few minutes later the Temp guage is up near the windscreen. Pulled over and investigated, but couldn't find anything wrong.
Started up again a bit later and everything OK.
Recently lost my headlights, but had parkers and tail lights. Sparky traced problem to earth under the dash. I don't know if it was related but the problems were a yera or more apart.
Dave
AnswerID: 178188

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 07:06

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 07:06
Dash instruments in a cruiser going silly are usually related to a dry joint in the circuit board that runs the gauges. Resolder them and the problem will likely go away.
AnswerID: 178194

Reply By: cipher - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 08:55

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 08:55
Cheers guys!

I have read a couple of pages on other forums (sorry guys) it was a forum link that someone posted in this thread...

Anyways!

Alot of people said just to buy new instruments, do you have to buy original or is there another after market guage housing to fit the FJ62?

People said you can fix the problem by cleaning the PCB contacts but they said it will only happen again. :-( *makes me sad*

So guys its really looking as if i cannot trust the old girl sadly, she looks after me in the important parts of 4WDing i guess but she rarely gets me home, i always have trouble with her.

I tell ya what if there are any mechanics on this forum or who read this thread and around the melbourne area, if you want to do a cashy and fix my whole damn car ill pay you for it, i just want to be able to trust her... And would preffer someone with a love for cruisers to repair it, i want my old girl looked after ;-)

Let me know please...
AnswerID: 178206

Reply By: greenant - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 21:26

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 21:26
This might be of help found on a different forum
Site Link

Greenant
AnswerID: 178349

Sponsored Links