Troopy setup for round Oz drive

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 14:05
ThreadID: 34891 Views:6875 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

Me and the g/f have been looking at doin a trip aound oz soon prob this time next year. We are looking to buy a 75 or 78 series 3 seater troopy for the trip and setting it up with "outback" roller drawers putting a mattress on top with a waeco 60L fridge. We also intend to get a dual battery solar setup for the trip to run the fridge (so we dont have to be confined to powered caravan park sites) and we are looking at doing a number of off road tracks around the whole country, but especially the top end.

I suppose my question really is "has anyone done this type of trip before that can give us some ideas, tips, hints and suggested tracks to adventure down or any feedback regarding what we intend to do?" Also if you have any advice on what type of equipment/accesories would be usefull (apart from the regular camping gear of course!) to make the trip go without a hitch.

Any help you guys could provide us would be fantastic, especially on the type of equipment that we should get or suggestions on our setup.

We are really really keen to go and do this before we settle down and we cant wait to spend an entire year as nomads exploring our beautiful country.

Cheers, Rossco & Jayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: signman - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 14:15

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 14:15
Just a suggestion...before you go and get yourself a vehicle..then spend heaps fitting it out..Why not keep your eyes on the 'market' and see whats around. You could be spending 6 to 10 grand just setting a vehicle up ( not including the price of the base vehicle). There is some good buys out there that would be 90% of what you are after- with a few more bolt ons.
Check out places like Just 4x4s, the Trader section on this site and other internet sites.
Good luck and Happy Trails
signman
AnswerID: 178258

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 14:44

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 14:44
I agree, with fuel prices the way they are, people are selling thier trucks quite cheaply out of necessity! If you're patient you should be able to land yourself a real bargain!

My tip for kitting out and travelling? Do plenty of research and ask specific questions and you'll get some really good quality info on this site! I'm not trying to sound narky or anything; the reason I don't have any advice for you is that I haven't yet done those "big trips" you speak of as I too am in the process of kitting out my truck to take off with the g/f and dog!

Hey on a side note, if you want some inspiration for kitting out a 75 Series Troopy, check out the MIchelle's Sacs Troopy on the cover of the current (I think) issue of 4WD Monthly - it's a very impressive looking truck! Expensive, but impressive! haha!

Cheers, and have fun!

Scoey!
FollowupID: 434420

Reply By: Cammo - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 14:57

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 14:57
Rossco & Jayne

You may find some info here www.4wheelingsa.org. Starting in the Summer 2005/06 edition is a story about a couple travelling Oz in a Troopy. The story continues into the Autumn edition. May be of some help.

Cammo
AnswerID: 178261

Reply By: Grumpy in WA - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 15:55

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 15:55
I think your question is too broad to get decent answers, do a search on any issue you have questions about and you will find lots of advice here, if you are still confused, as already suggested ask a specific question. Lots of info here relating to tracks, weather, power, water, fuel, spares, vehicle etc.

If you don’t have any luck finding a vehicle already kitted out keep an eye on the auctions. Fowles in particular, they often have ex ambulances that have very low kms and have had a very easy life and often have lots of extras, bulbar, winch, dual batteries, aftermarket seats etc already fitted.

Good luck
AnswerID: 178273

Reply By: JJ - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 16:16

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 16:16
Take a look at www.geocities.com/gkingsmill/ ... scroll down to 'The Kingsmill's Trans-African Overland Trip 01 25-Aug.1998-2000
Pretty good set up in this vehicle but would personally scrap the cartop tent, in preference to a free standing tent for more than one night stays.
AnswerID: 178278

Reply By: stevesub - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 18:41

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 18:41
We have a pop-top 78 series troopy and find that it is perfect for travelling. Ours is an ex-rental and is the way to go as it came with everything you need incl fridge, dual batteries, bullbar, snorkel, water tank, 180l fuel, etc, etc. Even has the kitchen sink.

Only problem, no roof rack but I don't believe you really need one - just more junk to take and more weight/wind resistance.

We even have room inside ours for the 2nd spare to live there all the time behind the passenger seat.

They are a rare thing to find but well worth taking the time to find one - and the price is not far off a standard un-modified Troopy.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 178305

Reply By: Pterosaur - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 21:19

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2006 at 21:19
Hi,

Try Kea campers - they seem to have several low km. ex - rental troopies for sale every year (I have one), and I reckon you'll get a pretty good deal.

You'll also find good info at
TroopyOz

regards
Terry
AnswerID: 178345

Reply By: Barnesy - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 00:52

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 00:52
Rossco,
I am planning a similar trip leaving March next year. I have the book by Ron Moon Discover Australia by 4wd available on this site and it's a good starting point for trips. Decide where you want to go and look deeper from there.

Hope you have enough money as fuel prices this time next year in the bush could be anything (get yourself a diesel). My other half and myself will be funding our trip by doing casual work in bush hospitals/ clinics, as were both nurses.

I think hiring a sat phone and buying an epirb should be high on the list, comprehensive tool kit, good tyres, puncture repair kit, 4wd driving course etc.

You do find in the trader Troopies that are already kitted out with long range tanks, winch, snorkel, bull bar etc. you can save yourself decent cash if you find a good one already kitted out.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 178372

Reply By: Member - Banjo (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:07

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:07
One suggestion would be to ditch the idea of sleeping in the vehicle, and get a tent.

Your idea was ours too as that's what we did for plenty of overnighters. That lasted one night on the big trip because the amount of gear to be taken for an extended trip means that you will probably have to take heaps out of the back in order to sleep there.
Then re-pack in the morning. Even with the drawer system there will still be lots on the mattress.

Far easier to use a tent, leave the gear in the back and take bits and pieces out as required.

Often too hot sleeping in the car anyway.

Banjo (WA)
AnswerID: 178386

Reply By: WonderinOz - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 10:25

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 10:25
Well thanks everyone for such a fast reply. I didnt think there would be this many in such a short time. You have given us some really helpful info. Signman and Scoey I have relised now that buying a troopy that is semi kitted out sounds like a better idea - I like the look of the one on this site:

HZJ 75 series toyota landcrusier troopie
This excellent turbo diesel rig is fully outfitted for outback touring. Check all the rest and now see the best. No expense spared been used only for touring a few weeks a year,otherwise garaged

Price: $35,000
State: QLD City: kingaroy

Thanks for pointing out the yahoo group Pterosaur, there were some great pick and info there for us to get a good idea of setups.

Barnesy we did think about the cost of fuel too...! Hopefully it is not so bad that we will have to walk!!! We were going to get the diesel for the economy and reliability factor and we were thinking of doing some work on the way but it would be more like the fruit picking variety, as Jayne is a raddiation therapist and I am a teacher (I might be able to get some releif work around the place tho).

Banjo, we thought we may be able to get away with just the troopy if we packed lightly and were very considerate of saving space, however I do see your point that you dont really know how much space your going to need until u actually start packing the vehicle. We were going to take a tent for those occasions when we stayed in a place for a few days/weeks just so we could establish a bit of a base camp.

Well thanks again everyone for your help, i'm sure you will hear from us regularly as we learn more and dream up ideas on things we could do to the troopy.

Rossco & Jayne
AnswerID: 178397

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 17:31

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 17:31
Hi Rossco & Jane,
You're going to have a ball! Cheryle & I spent almost a year touring aroud in our 75 Troopy - draws etc. Heaps to tell you - give me a call if you like on 03 9773 9915. If your in Melb we would be happy to catch up.
Cheers
Alex
Enjoy everyday, make your own luck & help a few along the way.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 178653

Sponsored Links