Suspension GU Patrol 3.0L

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 14:57
ThreadID: 3491 Views:2057 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
People

I'm going around OZ later in the year, towing a small Pop- top type caravan. Currently have standard suspension set up and looking for experienced advice on upgrades.
I was thinking about just changing the shockies and puting air bags in the rear????? Is there any real need to change the springs???
What shockies would you suggest, foam cell or nitro charged or what???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sean - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 16:42

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 16:42
Andrew

the Nissan comes standard with great spring rates that have a very good load carrying capacity in the rear. But the springs do sag.

I put a 2 inch lift in mine with Bilsteins. The lift is gained by the springs being stiffer, that is they dont sag as much unladen and therefore have a greater load carrying capacity. Before I changed them, the shocks had gone at 35,000 ks and the front would bottom out on a speedhump.

With current set-up, ride and handling is very good. (cant see why IFS is necessary)

I am very pleased with current (Doginsons Springs) and would buy again. Too early to say for the shocks (only done 20,000 ks to date on these) bit so far very good. I have also done alot of towing with 1.5 tonne/180kg towball load.

Hope this is of some help.

Sean
AnswerID: 13748

Follow Up By: Andrew - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 16:52

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 16:52
Thanks Sean

Just wondering how the 'unladen' ride is now with the new set up in your car. Is it a stiffer more aggressive ride on road or what???

The reason I ask is I have found with my factory setup that on the road I feel it already is quite 'stiff' and with the crappy roads around where I live, I get a feeling of 'feeling every bump' resulting in a bit of fatigue.

How do you go???
FollowupID: 8148

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 17:53

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 17:53
Hi Andrew
You will be surprised at how much better the Nissan will ride with aftermarket suspension.
How long do you intend to keep the vehicle?
If only for a few years the OME suspension from ARB or the equivalent from TJM.
If you intend to keep the vehicle for many years then it is worth paying the extra and get KONI'S fitted. The set I had on the Ford Bronco which was used extensively for off road and towing still had the Koni's on working well when it was sold with 350000 klms from them
OME on the 80 series and the GU only lasted 100000, now have Koni's on the GU ute with aftermarket springs, and because of the slideon camper Polyairs on the rear
Ray
FollowupID: 8150

Follow Up By: Truckster - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 21:32

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 21:32
OME on the 80 series and the GU only lasted 100,000klms

Gee Ray, you dont want much do ya!
FollowupID: 8159

Follow Up By: Sean - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:05

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:05
Andrew

My original shocks were 'completely finished' in 35,000 ks. I usually do alot of dirt roads including corrugations, some where I just sit behind the wheel and watch the bullbar going one way and the body another - wondering when they will part.

As I said, the lift is gained by the springs being stiffer - but I think the ride is good even when unladen. I know what you mean about the harsh ride of the Nissan. There is one bitumen road that I sometimes travel and it is corrugated - and bumpy - and the ride is not plush.

But overall, I find the ride good and dont believe it is any worse at all with the aftermarket springs. I normally drive a mazda so I am used to a plush ride and I never jump in the GU and think - jeez this is rough-

FollowupID: 8161

Follow Up By: Sean - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:05

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:05
Andrew

My original shocks were 'completely finished' in 35,000 ks. I usually do alot of dirt roads including corrugations, some where I just sit behind the wheel and watch the bullbar going one way and the body another - wondering when they will part.

As I said, the lift is gained by the springs being stiffer - but I think the ride is good even when unladen. I know what you mean about the harsh ride of the Nissan. There is one bitumen road that I sometimes travel and it is corrugated - and bumpy - and the ride is not plush.

But overall, I find the ride good and dont believe it is any worse at all with the aftermarket springs. I normally drive a mazda so I am used to a plush ride and I never jump in the GU and think - jeez this is rough-

FollowupID: 8162

Follow Up By: Sean - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:11

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:11
Andrew

My original shocks were 'completely finished' in 35,000 ks. I usually do alot of dirt roads including corrugations so I have given them a good try out.

As I said, the lift is gained by the springs being stiffer - but I think the ride is good even when unladen. I know what you mean about the harsh ride of the Nissan. There is one bitumen road that I sometimes travel and it is corrugated - and bumpy - and the ride is not plush - but I think ride is better now probably due to the better shocks.

But overall, I find the ride good and dont believe it is any worse at all with the aftermarket springs. I normally (90%) drive a mazda 323 so I am used to a plush ride and I never jump in the GU and think - jeez this is rough-

I have also heard good reports of konis as posted by others. Maybe see if you can 'try before you buy'. Someone may be able to help with test drive.

Good Luck

Sean.

FollowupID: 8163

Follow Up By: Sean - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:13

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:13
Wow, dont know what happened there. Thought I was editing. Must have suffered one too many corrugations in my in my in my in my in my in my time.

Sorry fellas

Sean

FollowupID: 8164

Follow Up By: Truckster - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:24

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 22:24
There is no edit feature...

YET...

:-P
FollowupID: 8165

Reply By: diamond - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 18:17

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 18:17
if your not doing lots of off road or towing all the time i would just fit polly air bags you can get them from pedders ect and should only cost $400-$500
AnswerID: 13751

Reply By: Truckster - Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 21:12

Saturday, Feb 22, 2003 at 21:12
I think Ray said it. How long you intend to keep it, and how many trips you intend to do and how many people, how long your trip will be.

The more trips and time, the more you should invest in quality suspension. Do it once do it right.

You could start your trip on the OEM ones, and when you get half way, change them... Would get some sort of value out of OEM ones, but then when you change you will say WHY DIDNT I DO THIS 5000klms ago...

I have the BigBalls Offroad lift kit in mine(Dobinsons, and Ranchos), but there is a good thread on the Patrol list about Suspension at the moment.

Old Man Emu gets good raps, and Bilsteins also get a good rap.

Its kinda like Petrol/Diesel Auto/Manual Yota/Nissan arguements...

AnswerID: 13755

Follow Up By: Craig - Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 07:35

Sunday, Feb 23, 2003 at 07:35
Do any of you guys know if GQ shocks will fit GU ? B4 I trade I`m thinking of keeping my suspension
Craig
FollowupID: 8169

Sponsored Links