Rodeo 2.8TD oil changes

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 16:03
ThreadID: 34923 Views:6456 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I need to change my diff, gearbox and transfer case oil in a 1996 rodeo. I always do engine oil changes but have never done any of the above before. I think I should be right but was wondering if there were any small tips I need to know before starting that would make the job easier.

I know I need to squeeze oil up for doing the diffs and should make sure I can undo the filler plugs in the diff before the drainer etc. Also to try and do everything while hot so all contaminents are mixed up.

Also, what types of oil should i use? Do I need a different type of oil in the rear diff because it has an LSD? Should I use synthetic oils?

any help appreciated

cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 16:32

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 16:32
Try a post to www.clubisuzu.com all the info on everything you need to know about your Rodeo. From oils required to how to make it perform better.
Cheers Bruce.
AnswerID: 178452

Follow Up By: guzzi - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 16:40

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 16:40
And this one for a bit of aussie flavor,
Site Link
FollowupID: 434667

Reply By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:02

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:02
Holden recommend an LSD additive (cant remember part number) for the LSD, otherwise same oil as front diff. I used a synthetic hypoid diff oil me thinks, made by valvoline ( I Think)

Gear box and transfer case- same oil as the engine my friend. I buy the 20l drums of RX super (approx $100) and use a small drum pump to do the filling. servives numerous services, and as i worked ot saves approx $15 a service in engine oil

also beware of the filler plug housing on the gear box. I undid mine (from a previous owner) and found that the threads in the housing had been 80% stripped. not a problem now with a spacer washer and some silicone, but something to be careful of.
AnswerID: 178459

Sponsored Links