Plenty hwy

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 16:22
ThreadID: 34925 Views:1593 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Was thinking of going to Alice springs and on to darwin in september and was wondering what it would be like going on the plenty hwy.I know roads out that way can change very quickly but was wondering if any one could shead a bit of light on current conditions thing to see and do.
regards ross
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:27

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:27
As you said, conditions can change. The road is these days quite a bit better than it was. A bit rough around Tobermorrey still. Weather is the big factor of course. The road can get quite rutted after wet weather and I expect quite corrugated in Sept unless recently graded.

As for things to see, well the Plenty is not the most exciting of roads. If you are after a bit more adventure and history, head down Cattlewater pass. See Plenty Highway Trek notes on this site for details of attractions. Otherwise stop in at Gemtree for the night.

Also, on the way to Boulia, go via Winton and Lark Quarry. Lark Quarry is definitely worth a visit. Head from Lark Quarry area north at Old Cork to get back onto the road to Boulia.

Dave O
AnswerID: 178462

Follow Up By: Bros 1 - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:05

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:05
Ross H,
If you go to lark quarry as David said, call in at Old Cork just near the turn off and catch a "belly" or two and check out the ruins.
Cheers,
Bros
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 434715

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:31

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:31
The Plenty Hwy is a big, wide, outback road which is graded from time to time. It has some corrugations, some wheel ruts, and some bull dust patches.

If you drive to conditions you won't have any problems. I have seen tourists towing vans along the route.

The country is pretty flat with some hills, until you get to the Harts Ranges.

The outback experience is just what you make of it.
AnswerID: 178464

Reply By: Member - John T (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:31

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 17:31
I recentely took a group across the plenty and it was good no problems at all.Just be aware that you will cume across patches of bull dust. It is advisable to have 2 spars at least as the road is very stony in parts. Have a great trip & drive carfully.You can get fuel at two spots along the way.

AnswerID: 178466

Reply By: pilbaradisco - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:34

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:34
The garnet fossicking at Gem Tree was good fun. Also Cattlewater Pass is good if you like to get off the main gravel roads. Nice camping also at Ruby Gap.

Glen.
AnswerID: 178520

Reply By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:39

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:39
thank you everyone for your replies. a little bit of knowledge goes a long way to preventing a disaster.
regards ross
AnswerID: 178580

Sponsored Links