Not tyres again

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 07:07
ThreadID: 34944 Views:2134 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Had a delightful weekend watching my mates drive there 4x4s around whilst I sat and watched. The reason was I had destroyed two Goodyear Wrangler AT tyres within half an hour on a bush track. Lucky I have a camper with a spare the same as the Nissan.

The reason for the post is the nature of the failures. Both tyres have approximately 30% tread left. The first failure was due to the dust cover on the front suspension ( above the shock absorber mount) coming off. The cover put a significant 2" tare in the tyre. The tare was along the centre grove of the rear tyre nice an neat.

The second puncture was also in the centre grove of the front tyre and was probably caused by Stone's. I say stones as there were actually two punctures in the tyre about 30 degrees apart but in the same central grove. See link for picture of tyre and reason for the grove. www.goodyear.com.au/4wd-tyres.htm

My question is not the fact I had two dead tyres but the nature of the holes appearing in the central grove in every case. Has anybody else experiences this nasty problem.

Thanks in advance

Redeye
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 08:22

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 08:22
Jeez mate! I hope you have exhausted you supply of bad luck..You surely,don't deserve that on your valuable weekend..Can't help re your rubber,but hope you have fun from here on in.....Ever had a "Claytons Blowout" ? (The blowout you have when you are'nt having a blowout) Was blowing up my tyre one day.Busy Busy Busy..So I used a "clip on" tyre chuck so I could do something else while airing up.(Big mistake)..Driving thru town 6-45am on way to work.Cars parked quite close either side (centre parking) BANG ! (window was down) "Jeez, I best get a grip on the wheel or we might clean up one of these cars..Waiting for the wobble..Never happened..Heard a little rubber slapping around, but no real vibes at the 50k speed limit.Drove over to work..Parked..Had a look..No flat tyre..Question marks were flying everywhere..Then it occured to me..This tyre had a slow leak (usual nail I suppose) and would hold up for about a week ---------"Under Normal Road Pressure" Not at 100psi.. The higher pressure had sped up the process..High pressure escaping air had got between the laminates of the tyre casing (read pressure vessel) and the portion of the tyre,not designed to contain pressure,the tread..Blew the tread clean off the casing (Nope! Was not a re-tread) Did it go off with a bang though while I had been driving..!MPG:5!
AnswerID: 178564

Follow Up By: Redeye - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 08:37

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 08:37
Thanks RokeyOne,

What I did not mention was :-

I forgot the margarine (not a great deal)
ran out of gas in one cylinder. Lucky I have two cylinders which are interchangeable.
The sole on my favorite shoes fell of during the evening. 100 MPH tape used.

The good part was it was my birthday so I celebrated with some red fluid and soon forgot about the down side of life.

Hope all the bad luck has run out as I am off to the Cape next Saturday with new tyres and shoes.

Redeye
FollowupID: 434779

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:46

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:46
Hey Redeye..A little "red" fixes lots of things..Sort of! Your shoe story..On our Kimberley trip years ago,I got a set of "gym boots" $3.95 (Yes a whole $3.95 I had "saved up" for them)at Longreach Sollys type shop..Nike were all the go..So I marked NIKKI on the back with a felt pen (Girl we know)..Next morning the sole fell off one..End of story..I got what I deserved ! They never saw the Kimberleys..I had my originals to wear.
AnswerID: 178581

Sponsored Links