FJ62 Engine Convertion

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 22:02
ThreadID: 34966 Views:4257 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys

Just wondering if any body has done or had done an engine convertion on a FJ62, if anybody has what size engine? any quicker? Please let me know all of your thoughts...

Thanks guys

Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: big red car - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 23:59

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 23:59
hi justin

i have a 11/89 62 series, 3years ago i pulled the 3f petrol and replaced it with a chev 6.5 diesel, on 35in tyres i was getting about 13mpg with the old motor, now i get between 22 and 25mpg, with nearly three times the go.
all has been good until now, but i have just had to replace the injector pump, you don't want to know what that cost.( loooooooooots )
on the whole i am still glad i went with the chev, it pulls hard, has no computers, sounds great and gives me fuel figuers that i can live with.
the motor has not caused any other failuers ( g/box , t/ case cv's etc. )
but i think that part comes down to how much right foot is used , how often and when.
hope this helps,

regards
johno.
AnswerID: 178717

Follow Up By: traveller2 - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 07:59

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 07:59
Johno
Why was the pump replaced? they are pretty well bulletproof and fully rebuildable.
You can also get new and reco pumps as well as rebuild kits on ebay.
FollowupID: 434971

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:17

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:17
Mate,dunnydore v6t.....they run under water with coil packs and have good torque. Thats me though...if u r chasing power, id look at a 5.7 commodore donk....i know a guy who put an 80 series turbo diesel in his 60....if i were you, i would look at pickles.com.au in damaged vehicles for a turbo diesel 60 complete...or dare i say it, for 8k plus your trade, an 80 series 4.5 with coil susp, and comfort
Andrew
AnswerID: 178738

Reply By: big red car - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:26

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:26
justin

the pump was fitted to the motor when it was rebuilt as a fully recon unit, BUT, I HAVE NOW FOUND OUT ,THAT SOME OF THESE PUMPS ARE IMPORTED AS REBUILT ITEMS FROM THE STATES.
NOW LET'S BE HONEST, i don't think that some guy in the USA is too worried about his work comming back for a claim.
my pump ,when removed was so badly worn and pitted it was beyond help, so to make sure i didn't have the same problem again i opted for a brand new pump, now i know what i have got.
as i said before i am still very happy with the complete package, with the standard 5 speed box it is a great tow vehicle, our cape yoyk extreme explorer camper fully loaded is about 1.5t , the cruiser is approx 2.5t , but with max torque at 1700rpm it pulls like a train.
if you want to chat email me at www.overlandercampertrailerhire.com.au and i will return a phone number to you.

johno.
AnswerID: 178739

Reply By: cipher - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 22:00

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 22:00
thanks guys,

well i really have looked into getting an 80 series, but i really do preffer the FJ62's simply beacuse of the care factor... I want my car to be in perfect mechanical shape but im not 'too' fussed about its appearance, sure i try my best to take care of her, but if i got a scratch on a 80 series i would cry... But i can see where you are coming from with the 8 grand.. would cost the same to get an 80 series on trade in as it would the get an engine conversion...

I have heard before that its not recommended to have engine conversions because you always have trouble with it, beacuse the typical conversion engines are no suitable to get wet at all... Any ideas?

So basically my options are an 80 series (which i would love) or an engine conversion with a NIIICCCEEE DONKKK of a v8 which would sound damn awesome!!!!!!!!!

????
AnswerID: 178866

Sponsored Links