Society Decay

Submitted: Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 20:29
ThreadID: 34995 Views:2425 Replies:10 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Hey fellas, is it just me getting old and grouchy or are people getting ruder?????

Folk come on this forum and suck us all dry for our infinite wisdom and expertise on subjects as varied as haemorrhoids through to VD (Voltage Drop).

Having got what they want to know answered by the charming and wise people that we are, with no thought of remuneration or sacrifice of their first born child, so a “Thanks Guys” would be nice.

But it seems to me that it is getting rarer by the week for such courtesies to be offered.

How hard would it be to post a “Thanks Fellas” on the site.????

There you go I got it of my chest and feel a lot better for it. “THANKS FELLAS” for listening to my ravings.

Have a wonderful weekend.

On Patrol.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 20:42

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 20:42
Your right mate, 'plain old courtesy' is getting as rare as 'common sense'.

But it does make appreciate some one saying thanks, or giving you wave in the traffic when you let them in.

As long as you don't say 'your welcome' :-)
One of my pet hates.
Got that one of my chest too!
AnswerID: 178850

Follow Up By: On Patrol - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 20:47

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 20:47
Sorry Oldplodder,
We cannot say "common sense" any more. It seems that its not as common as it used to be anymore.
FollowupID: 435157

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 20:54

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 20:54
>As long as you don't say 'your welcome' :-)

Hey oldplodder, what's wrong with saying that, I thought it was polite but maybe I'm missing something.
FollowupID: 435159

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 21:07

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 21:07
Sorry,

Hate going to fast food places and a young person who has beened trained to say 'your welcome' by thier yank company puts me off.

Whats wrong with a 'no problems', or something aussie?

My whinge for the night!
FollowupID: 435161

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 21:10

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 21:10
Come on Oldplodder, that's two whinges for the night.
FollowupID: 435163

Follow Up By: On Patrol - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 21:16

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 21:16
Hey Matt
He now feels twice as good. And so he should.
Im going to pester HID (her in doors) see ya all.
FollowupID: 435166

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 00:43

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 00:43
On Patrol,

You feeling lucky LOLOL
FollowupID: 435197

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 14:28

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 14:28
Common sense died in Austailia the day we the people of Aus let John Kerr sack Gough Whitlam ,,
FollowupID: 435349

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:11

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:11
On Patrol - "HID (her in doors)"

Ah another Minder fan
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 435430

Follow Up By: On Patrol - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:43

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:43
You bet, me old cock, i dont mind a nice VaT on occasions as well, Terry me lad, in your case sunshine, Pete.
FollowupID: 435456

Reply By: TROOPYMAN A.D. 1998 - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 22:56

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 22:56
Re post 34934 . I always say thankyou etc , i always help if someone is bogged or in trouble . You see ther is still some nice people around , in fact i would say most people would go out of ther way to help or be nice . Nissan owners excluded , there always grumpy .
AnswerID: 178877

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 00:00
I'm one of the nicest kindest politest nissan owners you'll never probably meet !!! HAHAHAHAHA

Cheers,

Muzz
FollowupID: 435192

Follow Up By: johannagoanna - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 02:00

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 02:00
Hey Troopyman, I wish you were one of the very unfriendly and rude party of 2 4wds that came across us on Saturday, when we were stuck up in the Putty Valley. They sat in their cars, waited for us to clear the path for them and then drove staight past. It was obvious we were in trouble, and we really could have done with their help! Oh well, 2 hrs later we were freed!!!!

Jo
FollowupID: 435201

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 07:19

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 07:19
" Nissan owners excluded , there always grumpy . "

LOL..... I'm not grumpy! I'm as happy as can be mate...... but in the few years I have been in a 4wd, I have noticed it's almost ALWAYS the 'Yota owners that bring up the "Brand War"..... So if you meet a Nissan owner and he's grumpy.... spare a thought for him, he is likely sick of hearing 'Yota owners carrying on.

LOL.....

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 435204

Follow Up By: TROOPYMAN A.D. 1998 - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:42

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:42
Heres another grumpy nissan owner at work .

http://image-cache.boostcruising.com/database/readersphotos/files/Krawlertroopie_net.jpg
FollowupID: 435210

Follow Up By: johannagoanna - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:52

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:52
LOL - I drive a Nissan, we were stuck, and the lovely kind people that went straight past were in a TOYOTA!!!

Jo
FollowupID: 435232

Follow Up By: Dave ....Adelaide - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:35

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:35
WELL SAID BRIAN And on top of that most yota owners are f***ing sooks.....lol
FollowupID: 435281

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 07:19

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 07:19
TROOPYMAN A.D. 1998

.........And can't post links.....
Me.... A "grumpy nissan owner" had to EDIT your link to see the pic......

LOL.... never mind, it wasn't hard mate......

I find it interesting that the guy who posted that pic is having a go at "arrogant 4X4 tossers out there who think they're the biggest and baddest thing around"........ geeee.... think someone might have cut him off at the lights on the way to work that day??? LOL....

Joanna, I have seen lots of people drive past situations where their assistance could have been welcomed..... it's not the car that does it... it's the boofhead behind the wheel..... and there's boofheads driving all sorts!!!!!!!

Dave...... naaaah....not ALL of 'em anyway... some of my closest friends drive Toyota's.... they're nice cars.

I don't really like to get caught up in the brand wars.... well.... just a little bit if it's fun, but I don't take it seriously......

after all, if everyone drove Nissans, all the really fun places to drive would be over crowded with people having a go!

:-))

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 435314

Follow Up By: TROOPYMAN A.D. 1998 - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 10:22

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 10:22
Unfortunately i should have read what it said first . My mistake .
FollowupID: 435329

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 17:36

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 17:36
LOL.... no worries Troopyman..... it's been a cool bit of banter!!!

have a good ady mate!

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 435372

Reply By: Barnesy - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 05:19

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 05:19
My job entails me to be very patient, also polite to the people i look after, including their families. When i get home i like nothing more than to be a grumpy bastard.

That's different from being rude and i do my best to make it known that i appreciate it if someone goes out of their way for me. If an old lady needs help with her shopping then i offer to give a hand.

I'm also willing to help the government offload some money if they want to give me a pay rise.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 178893

Reply By: Member - John R (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 06:45

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 06:45
I was bought up to treat people the way I would expect them to be treated.

Works for me.

However, I agree society has decayed to a point where this type of attitude is becoming rarer, ie driving past somebody stuck, as described in a previous post.

On Wednesday an elderly lady knocked on the front door. Her car had broken down out the front of our place (steam coming from under bonnet). Her mobile was flat so I put it on our charger. Offered her a cup of tea but she was quite anxious to call Concord Hospital, as she was heading there for a pre-chemo checkup.
So I told her to make all her calls from our home phone, which she reluctantly did.

She got everything organised, but attempted to leave $10.00 for 2 local calls. We had words about that, but she refused to leave without paying something....I reluctantly took 2 bob to pacify her.

I was just happy to see her taken care of and back on her way. Life's too short.

AnswerID: 178894

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 07:42

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 07:42
Good for you John..... there ain't enough of that goin' round anymore!!!!

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 435206

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:51

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:51
Manners and common sense do seem to be in short supply these days. The other day I was grumpy to a woman driver. I felt guilty for ages, as it's usually me that's on that end.
When a young woman with kids stops to give way to me and smiles, my heart gladdens. When a stranger takes the time to say hello, when a kid opens the door for me,when a neighbour waves; all these things remind me that there are so many nice people left in the world, despite what the media would have us believe.
One smile, one kind wave, one thank you can make a persons day. And that person will pass it on. Think of the effect if we all spent a couple of seconds being nicer to strangers and each other.
Life's too short for anything else.
AnswerID: 178907

Reply By: Hairy - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:09

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:09
Yeh I think you might be getting old and grouchy.
But hey thanks for the thoughts!
Cheers
Thankyou and may you live a long and happy life.
AnswerID: 178918

Reply By: Peter - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 12:19

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 12:19
From a Patrol driver
Came across a car (actually almost had a head on because of where he was stopped). Young bloke (Barry by name with 4 kids so we did even speak to each other); got out and started pushing the car, so I put the hazard lights on, blocked the road a bit and got out and helped him push his car off the road. He had run out of fuel but had a fuel can with him so I ran him up to the local service station (left SWMBO waiting to be collected from work), collected his fuel and run him back to his car. He asked what I needed for my services and I advised him to simply return the favour to anyone else he sees in the same predicament. Made us both feel good.
What goes around comes around
Not all Patrol drivers are grumpy!?!
AnswerID: 178925

Reply By: Jo and Mark - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 13:12

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 13:12
That was great reading!

You ask for my last tin of baked beans and I'll give it to you!
I am so staunch on what goes around comes around, I will always do what I can whenever I can to help somebody out, even if it throws my plans out. Heck we aren't all that selfish in this world are we? I don't do anything to ever get back, I just love the thrill of doing something to help someone, whether it be little or big, you have done something to make an impact in someones life and you will never know just how much it may have helped them. It is great to receive, but I reckon it is so much more fullfilling to give! knowing you have have helped someone in their time of need, nothing could be a greater reward than when you get to see the smile, relief or tears on someones face.
Cheers everyone and although I myself have told you all a thousand times...
again thankyou for all the help, advice, phone calls, direction and laughs you have given me!
AnswerID: 178926

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 13:42

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 13:42
Whenever I've asked questions here they've been answered with interest, information and care and it's always appreciated. When I reply to a question sometimes I think maybe what I say is no help but on the off chance that it is I do my best. This is a great forum where everyone sincerely wants to help others.

At work there are times when the people I'm helping are short tempered, rude or ungrateful..but these are the minority. The majority are glad that my fellow workers and myself take the time to really care about them. I work in a Pharmacy. We always try to make them feel glad that they came into our shop and to feel that their best interests are our main concern.

Where I live is a little town of about 200 people. Everyone takes the time to stop for a chat, be concerned about the other, show respect and kindness. Sometimes I think the people living in bigger places are in so much of a rush that they just don't have the time.

We should do our best for others regardless of whether there's "anything in it for us". The happiness that comes from helping is reward in itself. The old quote Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..is about the best way to live life that I can think of.

For every one person who is rude, ungrateful or unkind there are a dozen others who would give the shirt off their backs to help. Thank goodness for the human spirit for in a world of terrorists and violence it still rises above.

Best wishes

Viv
AnswerID: 178933

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 17:01

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 17:01
Hi Viv,
First thing, if you give your answers from a place of wanting to contribute to others your answers will always be valuable. This you clearly do.

For me, you've touched on an interesting subject. It goes like this, "The bigger the town, the smaller the community"

I grew up and spent most of my life in Newcastle. Strange thing, Australia's 6th largest city really used to be and to some extent still is a big country town.
My daughters can't get their head around the fact I can walk into anywhere in Newcastle and know someone. Not only know them, know their name, their partners name, know their kids names and how I know them.
Now people can say that's me, true. But it's also the world I grew up in.

A year or so back I went to Emerald in Queensland. Pulled into the motel carpark. There was a bloke trimming the hedges. He put down the hedge trimmer and struck up a conversation with me. Mick and I chatted for ages about life, kids and the most important thing in any country town, the weather. Really how different was the hedge in Emerald to a hedge in some of our capital cities?
The bloody thing will still be there in 20 minutes! If its not, hey bonus!!

You've so made my Saturday,

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 435255

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 08:28

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 08:28
Thanks Geoff,

That made me smile...hope your Sunday is good too.

Viv
FollowupID: 435322

Reply By: On Patrol - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:51

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:51
He Guys
Me again.

Iv,e had a wonderful weekend and it aint over yet!!

My grouchy old heart has had the biggest lift following this thread so far.

Thanks a million.

We are not alone out there, it just seems that way sometimes.

THANKS FELLAS, & GALS

On Patrol.

PS Even the Toymotor people look better to me now LOL
Im no longer a grouchy Nissan driver, i have seen the light.
Until some Bugger wrecks my Friday next week LOL

Keek up the good work.
AnswerID: 178986

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 08:32

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 08:32
Thank you Old Plodder and have a good Sunday.

Viv
FollowupID: 435323

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 08:43

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 08:43
Sorry, sorry and sorry again. I've just got up and bleary eyed wrote the wrong name. Thanks On Patrol.......need my eyes checked. No need another coffee!!

Viv
FollowupID: 435324

Sponsored Links