Cape Leveque to Derby

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 18:55
ThreadID: 35020 Views:4801 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone shed some light on travelling from Cape Leveque to Derby via the Bedunburra Rd which turns off to the east at about Beagle bay and comes out about half way between Broome and Derby. We are after any info on this track as we would like to come back on a different road from C.L at about the end of August

Thanks

Olly
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:18

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:18
Hi Olly, I had difficulty finding it last year when returning from the Cape. Can't remember the exact details but if we had not been given the exact number of km to the turn we would not have found it. We actually went 'cross country' for about 100 metres to intercept the track. Perhaps if we had traveled further south the turn off may have been more apparent. Once on the track we found it to be a very good sand road. Ask the locals and look carefully on the way up to the Cape and then you can take note of the km from a landmark.
AnswerID: 178990

Reply By: Lyds- Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 00:35

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 00:35
The instructions are in the Moons "Kimberley Adventurers Guide".

The only problem is that the roads have been realigned by a few KMs since the book was written (well, my version anyway). Also, on my hema map it looks like the turn off is north of the Beagle Bay turnoff, but it is now south of it.

Just look for the road on the left once you get past the Beagle Bay turnoff. Sorry I don't remember how far (anywhere from a couple of hundred metres to a km or 2).

Once you've made the left, from what I remember there are a couple of turnoffs, but follow the notes and/or the main track and you'll be right.

At some stage you come across this sign (you'll be coming down from top of picture). You take turn left (east) to go towards Derby.

!MPG:12!

Eventually you'll hit the main road at a tile/stone place. For those coming the other way this is where you turn off.

AnswerID: 179021

Reply By: Kenell - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 10:28

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 10:28
Olly,
I travelled this road in August last year towing a relatively heavy CT. It was very easy and in great order then. You have to open and close a few gates but that is the co pilot's job so not an issue. The turnoff from the highway end is at exactly the halfway point between Derby and Broome at a place locals call the colourstone house. We got a mud map from the Derby visitor centre which grossly overstated road conditions, was upside down (ran south - north) but was still handy as a reference. We were a bit lost when we hit the Cape Road because weren't shaw where we were in relation to Beagle Bay. A roadworker set us straight and said all his crew used this road rather than traveling all the way into Broome then back to Derby. It was a bit sandy in spots but nowhere near the corrugations of the main route, a lot narrower than the CL road and fewer people use it.

Kenell
AnswerID: 179041

Follow Up By: OLLY - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 11:03

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 11:03
Thanks for that very usefull info guys, I think we may end up taking this track as we try not to travel the same road twice. Can anyone give me an idea of how the Cape road is at this stage as I know they had a big wet earlier in the year.

Olly
FollowupID: 435334

Sponsored Links