Landcruiser 100s Tailgate protector

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 12:43
ThreadID: 35032 Views:4756 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I had a look on Michelle's Sacs website hoping they would have a canvas protector for the carpet on the rear bottom tailgate - but seems they don't. I have only had the vehicle for about 2mnths and already the carpet is dirty cause of the dog and I am looking for some sort of material to protect it. I had a look the other day and recon canvas with velcro stitched onto it would stick onto the carpet and work well. Does anyone know if someone makes them - if not had anyone done something similar?
Cheers
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 13:03

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 13:03
doubt if velcro hooks or loops would stick satisfactorily (directly) to the carpet. You can get self adhesive velcro and that would be ok to a point, but the adhesive eventually dries out and you'd have to renew it. Very straightforward though. Just peel it off when it starts to lose it's stickiness and put new stuff down. So, perhaps if you get a piece of fabric and cut it to size + a bit for the hem, and sew the velcro around the hem, then stick the corresponding side of the velcro (self adhesive stuff) around the carpet edges, that should do the job.
AnswerID: 179053

Follow Up By: H2O - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 13:10

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 13:10
Steve,
Took some velcro out and tried it and the hooks seem to stick very well to the carpet. I recon it would be fine since the plastic cover would sit on the bottom of the canvas which would hold it in place.
Cheers
FollowupID: 435346

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 13:33

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 13:33
there you go then, mate. Jobs half done for you. Depends on the fibre/fabric content of the carpet whether it meshes. If you don't have a machine, just take your measurements to a curtain maker or upholsterer. all you need is a rectangle of fabric bordered by velcro. The wider velcro would give you even better purchase. They're usually 1" or 2" wide. You could even sew the 1" on side by side to give 2" width.
AnswerID: 179057

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 13:41

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 13:41
Would this do?
Lifted from the Balck widow website:

Black Widow announce the release of their new 100 series rear tailgate replacement cover.
The cover is installed in around half an hour and comes with the necessary components for self fit. Manufactured from marine grade aluminum and powder coated in a grey ripple finish.
Its great for food preparation and easily cleaned and much more hygienic than the carpet panel that the 100 series comes standard with.
Its a must have accessory for 100 series owners who use their tailgate as a table.
R.R.P $229.00 See your nearest distributor for more info.

Cheers
AnswerID: 179058

Follow Up By: tuck 01 - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 10:35

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 10:35
I bought one of these when I got my cupboards from Black Widow, as the carpet lining must be the most impractical thing Toyota have done.
It is great as Rick mentioned when the tail gate is used as a table, which is virtually always. Firm surface to work on, easy to clean.
A bit pricey, but at the time I was fully kitting out my truck, so the cost was really only small change.
Cheers
FollowupID: 435440

Reply By: Member - Colin (WA) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 14:41

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 14:41
G'day H2O,

I have a piece of heavy duty rubber mat 3mm thick (from clark rubber) cut to the same shape as the carpet. It is held on by the spiky pieces of velcro stuck to the bottom of the rubber mat at various places around the edge sticking into the carpet.
It has been on for 3yrs now and has never moved and only costs about $20 . You could even mat the cargo area in the back . hope this helps.
regards
Col
AnswerID: 179061

Reply By: RonEv - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 16:16

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 16:16
Buy some pliable clear plastic from Clark's Rubber, cut it about 3" bigger all round than the tail gate carpet. Unclip the carpet carefully, lay it upside down on the plastic and staple it down with short shank staples, ensuring it fits neatly around the corners. Don't fasten down the ends just cut them slightly longer than the vinyl edges so it can breath and refit. It wipes clean and has worked perfectly on two of my Cruisers. Should cost about $10 and half an hours labour.
AnswerID: 179072

Reply By: Member - Matt L (NSW) - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 07:54

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 07:54
Hi H20,

I noticed a 100 series at the last show that had a stainless steel sheet fitted. It would be the same as the one Rick mentioned.

It looked very impressive and would be easy to clean.

Regards,

Matt
AnswerID: 179146

Sponsored Links