Ticking noise 80 series1hdft

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 14:47
ThreadID: 35035 Views:4008 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,I have a 96 factory turbo 1hdft 80 series,It has 220 000klm on it.It has developed a ticking noise(Like a loose tappet).Straight away i had the sump off with a new set of big ends fitted,The noise has not gone away? Ive had it to my mechanic and he's not sure where its coming from either.possibly loose tappet?
has anyone else experienced this?The car appears to be going fine,Not using oil.Although the oil pressure gauge sits fairly low after about an hour of driving but it always has done this since ive owned this car.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 15:32

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 15:32
Hi Guyster, I had the same noise in my 80 series 1991 turbo auto with 480000 on the clock. I started to develop a clicking noise whilst away on holidays in Vic. Seemed to come from somewhere near the alternator. We kept on driving but the noise was getting worse, we were in the snowy mountains. I was worried about it because we had to get back to WA. Turned around to head back to Corryong to have it checked out. 15 km out it started to worse so I stopped and phoned the RAC for assistance. Tow truck came out, they got me to start it up again, listened to it for 3 seconds and told me to switch off. Piston gone he said. to cut a long story short and a week later and $10,000 lighter we were on our way again with a replacement short motor. Hope yours is not as dramatic but get it checked out
Cheers
AnswerID: 179070

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 19:29

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 19:29
piston broke, huh????
Me too!! ................................ ;-))))
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 435388

Reply By: Middle Jeff - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 20:46

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 20:46
Hi Guyster

A lot of discussion recently on a cruiser site, one thing you might try is the harmonic ballancer bolt in front of the motor.

Have fun
AnswerID: 179116

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 21:21

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 21:21
Mate
Firstly....the hdft doesnt spin bigends...the older hdt did...not yours...
It could be the harmonic balancer...does a vibration come in the motor at 2500 rpm?? it could also be an exhaust leak from a cylinder port...or one of your injecters is leaking and not firing properly...or a broken ring, or a number of other things....without a long questioning and a listern,. it is impossible to tell.
What changed just b4 you started hearing this ticking??? oil change, fuel from somewhere other than where u usually go?? some 4wding in mud....water....any temp fluctuations??? etc etc etc et cetc
AnswerID: 179123

Reply By: luch - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 22:19

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 22:19
Guyster, i have a 1HZ 80 series which has a ticking noise that comes and goes, not sure about you but i can only ever hear it with the windows shut. My ticking sound comes from the drivers side the only thing i can point it to now is possibly the speedo cable i have not yet disconnected it to see if it goes away !
It wont be big ends believe me its a loud knock like something about to fly through the side of the block

This ticking sound is a common problem that only a hand full seem to develop, i haven't come accross any one yet who has fixed it
AnswerID: 179132

Reply By: Member - Fourplayfull - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:44

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:44
Hi Gyster ,
Yes my 1HD-FT '95 has a ticking noise only when hot , can only be heard standing alongside the vehicle when idling - will come and go in short spasmodic cycles . Has occurred since 75000kms. to present 250000kms. I have found that after I reset the tappets(what a back breaking job on a raised vehicle!!) silence prevails . It seems critical to get the siamese rocker adjusment correct .
LCOOL site does state some FT's may have big end problems allowing piston head contact - if I cannot get it quiet after adjustment I will be looking elsewhere
Cheers
John
AnswerID: 179198

Sponsored Links