Helton Heat Exchanger a Beauty!

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 17:49
ThreadID: 35045 Views:6847 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to all of those people who helped me with the low coolant flow issue in the Nissan ZD30. It is now resolved and the heat switch is the key.

I ordered a Helton shower kit from Tony at Helton. The unit tees into the heater hoses, using the hot coolant to heat shower water via a copper heat exchanger. The unit is great value, being priced below that of any othyer units I've seen which in my view are overpriced.

After I ordered it, Tony rang me and advised the shower unit isn't a good choice for the Patrol as the Patrol has very low coolant flow through the cabin heater. So I ordered what he calls his hot water system and a shower kit.

The unit works brilliantly, delivering hot water to the shower at a good rate. The temperature can be adjusted to a comfortable range with the valve supplied.

I intially had some trouble getting the system to work, not due to any shortcomings on the part of the Helton unit, but simply because at idle the Nissan Patrol (3 Litre) has zero coolant flow to through the heater hoses, and I knew no way to rev the engine without sitting in the car.

I have since found out that there is a heat switch used to bring the ZD30 engine quickly to operating temperature in colder climates ( I live in NQ so have never had cause to use it). The switch revs the engine at about 1200 rpm. I think it may also open the EGR valve, recycling some exhaust to the inlet. (not sure about this). Anyway once this switch is turned on, the coolant flow is more than enough to heat the water.

The hot water system works a treat, delivering lots of hot water to the shower.

The kit consited of everything I needed to install both heat exchanger and shower. Highly recommended, even though it took we a while to sort out operation on the Patrol.

I have no association with Helton.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 19:05

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 19:05
yes i agree.
i bought a helton 4yrs ago and been swapped from the patrol to the jack and still going strong.
AnswerID: 179097

Reply By: Happy GU Owner - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 19:07

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 19:07
David,

I don't know about the low coolant flow you are experiencing, but my brother-in-law has a heat exchanger hot water shower on his 3 litre GU, and it was way too hot, just with the engine idling. He had to reduce the flow through the heat exchanger so we could actually use it !!!

His unit is mounted horizontally above and behind the plastic cover over the motor. Mine will be mounted in the same spot, as it is near the heater hoses, and an area of wasted space.

Mic
AnswerID: 179099

Follow Up By: Jugs - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 20:13

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 20:13
Any Pix of your install ?
Jugs
FollowupID: 435393

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 21:18

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 21:18
Will do some pics tomorow
FollowupID: 435561

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 05:52

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 05:52
I lengthened the bracket, as the original didn't suit the posiion I selected.

The final configuration. The heat exchangers was originally a red colour but being a minimalist, I preferred it black like everything else under the bonnet.

Sound deadening on firewall removed here but replaced once I was happy with the final location.

Inlet and outlet for shower about to be fixed in place in the bullbar.
FollowupID: 435598

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:10

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:10
G'day David,

Looks neat but I was wondering how it will fare with the bull dust? The connection points in the bull bar look like they'd cop a gut full - or do you have caps on these when travelling?

Kind regards
FollowupID: 435603

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:20

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:20
Yeah I've made caps for them.
FollowupID: 435606

Follow Up By: Jugs - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:09

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:09
Dave

Thanks for the Pix always nice to see how someone else tackles something, Very Neat.

Jugs
FollowupID: 435645

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:59

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:59
For those interested, Helton Heat Exchangers are a business that currently advertise on ExplorOz - and have for many years. They also recently ran an editorial feature in one of our newsletters, issue 103 - Site Link
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 179183

Sponsored Links