CREB Track

Submitted: Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 13:34
ThreadID: 35067 Views:1726 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all.

I am leaving with a crew of 5 in 2 weeks for Cape York and was wondering if anyone had any information on the CREB track?

Cheers

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Garthski - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 17:26

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 17:26
Steve,
Checkout the Kedron Caravans DVD 'Tacklin The Top End'

They went up the CREB track towing there newest model van for a test.

Pretty mean looking place when towing from the looks of things and also if it rains, which it did on there trip.

The van was 3 tonnes about and according to comments from area locals on the dvd towing was not really an option. They ended up bringing the van back and only doing the whole track with the 4by.

Was a great dvd.

No I'm not getting any kickbacks of them!!

Cheers
Garth

AnswerID: 179279

Reply By: Dodgin & Weavin - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 18:24

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 18:24
Great drive. Well worth doing.

But!!!. Do do not do if it rains or rain is forecast. It gets slippery to the point it is dangerous. It's very steep in places.

Also carry an axe or chainsaw. You may need to cut a tree out of the way.

When we did it we got light drizzle this was enough to make it very interesting to say the least and we needed the axe.

Find out what conditions are like just before you head up.

No doubt someone can comment on current conditions on this thread.

Have fun.

AnswerID: 179289

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 21:16

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 21:16
Given the conditions now, it is probably closed. Give Wet Tropics a call- phone numbers in Trek Notes
AnswerID: 179333

Reply By: RippinRutman - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 21:48

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 21:48
Ooops. More detail required.

I am soley interested in the status of the condition of the CREB and if it is open for business?!

Its on our way of things to do on the way up, but if this is not possible, it looks like it s on the way back.

Fingers crossed..

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 179343

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:34

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:34
Steve,
It is a very interesting drive but as others have said you will need to check the track conditions a day or two before doing it as rain on that track is a definate no-go.The trek is about 60kms. all up and is a bit more difficult from Daintree to Bloomfield with the first 20 kms the only real challenge, after that most of it is a two wheel drive trip.At the turnoff to Roaring meg falls there is a ranger hut which was being built when I went in 2003 so there might be a fee to see the falls now.There is a nice camping spot on the track into the falls with a good swimming hole.If going in from Daintree you need to access the trek from Stewart Creek road and then take the right fork about 0.8 kms.After that you go through about 3 gates before crossing the river and then you are on your way.Make sure you select low range on the steep sections as some are VERY steep.If interested I can send you a mud map--cheers.
AnswerID: 179449

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 13:21
" mud map" very good Rambler.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 435653

Sponsored Links