FYI Eutectic Autofridge (keeps cold)

Submitted: Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 17:44
ThreadID: 35077 Views:6382 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Not what we were looking for, but found advertised second hand for private sale a Eutectic Autofridge.

Extract from website quirks.com.au -

The AUTOFRIDGE comprises a compressor driven system combined with the power-saving advantages of the eutectic refrigeration system - the 'eutectics' act as a cold storage compound for the refrigeration contents. The eutectic fluid surrounds the outside of the four walls of the interior cabinet acting as an 'ice bank', and, in an ambient temperature of up to 32 degrees Celsius, having initially pre-chilled the AUTOFRIDGE, it need only be run on its maximum setting for a total of 5-6 hours per day (preferably 2 hours in the morning and
~3 hours in the afternoon), and during this run-time, the fluid is frozen and the cabinet contents are thoroughly chilled. The AUTOFRIDGE can be turned OFF in between the run-times, and the eutectic fluid acts as a thermal phase change (cold storage) compound and provides the continuous refrigeration hold-over for NIL power consumption. Figures quoted assume normal usage of your refrigerator, e.g. opening/shutting the lid to use or replace contents.

Just in case anyone is interested and hasn't heard of this type of fridge. Would be good for people like us who keep the fridge in the car and turn it off at night when the car is not running.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 19:25

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 19:25
The eutectic refridgeration system has been around a long time,long before 12 volt and three ways. We used this system in boats for years, an auto airconditioning compressor, heat exchanger ect ect than holding tank, in the old days we filled this with metho, today glycol and water
Anyway Waeco make these holding tanks so people building there own boxes can install they own system. It is a 12 volt system. With the engine driven system you would only have to run it for about two hours per day, got down to -25 and once left it for 9 days not opening the lid and still had ice there.
Anyway probably useless info but that basically how we got refridgeration for on the move.
A mate had a Autofridge Eutectic on a vehicle he took to Western Soma never miss a beat, probably still going.
Cheers Bruce.
AnswerID: 179296

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:38

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:38
Had my Autofridge about 6 years now and going great. I use it as they recommend,
running it while driving for the day, turn off overnight and then run 2 hrs in the morning & 2 hours in the arvo. Keeps the beer and other necessities cold. I also still only have the one battery.

Rob
AnswerID: 179418

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:05

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:05
But keep in mind that a Eutectic Fridge does not overcome the laws of physics - it will not mean that you will use less electricity to keep a certain amount of food below a certain temperature - in fact it will use more, because it has to initially cool the food well below the final temperature.

Eutectic fridges are great for those driving every day - you cool down the Eutectic packs when driving to store the "cold", so you don't need batteries to store electricity to supply "cold" when required.

Mike
AnswerID: 179425

Sponsored Links