Beach driving and water restrictions

So with stage 3 water restriction in Brisbane, I've put beach driving on the shelf until a later date...like when it rains again. How are others handling the water restrictions and being unable to give the car a good underbody wash after beach driving? I've used the underbody washes at Double Island Pt and Rainbow Beach, and then still washed heaps of sand out when I got home, they don't seem to do the job properly. Any other suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: the real chopper - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 20:27

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 20:27
move to Hervey Bay where our lawns are green and our dams are full ...

Sorry, don't have any useful suggestions!
AnswerID: 179312

Reply By: Mav1 - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 20:29

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 20:29
Yeah it's going to be a problem I'll have after I going to Fraser in September. I'm not sure but some high pressure cleaners have an extension to maybe suck from a bucket- I'll have to check my karcher.Only other way if you know someone down gold coast as I think they are only on level 2.
AnswerID: 179314

Follow Up By: Mav1 - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 21:09

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 21:09
Actually, found this via google on aust site by meguirs products on saving water during car washing:

1. Drill a 25mm diameter hole at the base of a large bucket - 15 Litre size is best. (Fig 1)
2. Fit garden hose fitting with shut-off valve - available from any good hardware supplier. (Fig 2)
3. Fill the bucket and place it in a position higher than the machine, so the water will gravity feed. Attach snap-on connector fittings to each end of a 1m length of garden hose, and connect one end to the bucket. For the Lavor EKO machine, we recommend a 3m length of garden hose. Open the shut-off valve and ensure there is water flow, then connect to the machine. (Fig 3)
4. Turn on the machine and wait for the high pressure water flow to the lance and you’re set to go. Take note to refill the bucket before the water level gets too low. (Fig 4)
Note: Not all high pressure cleaners are suitable to run off a bucket. We have successfully tested a range of Karcher machines as well as the Lavor EKO machine from Repco and the Superworks machine from Super Cheap Auto. The manufacturers of GMC, Gerni, and Kerrick machines have advised that they are not designed to operate from a bucket. With any other machines please check with the manufacturer first.
FollowupID: 435559

Reply By: Mark T - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 20:37

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 20:37
Spent time in March on Fraser.. before leaving used the high pressure water wash at King Fisher Bay. Took heaps of sand off really quickly. (Hi volume)

We used the bitumen road to the ferry and then home. At home I hooked up the Pressure cleaner to our water tank and was surprised how little sand came out.. got around 95%+ off at Fraser. Spent last Saturday driving around the Condamine Gorge. Came home with a muddy car and again just used the garden hose connected to the pump on our tank. While I was washing the car a lady came past and very angily told me that we were on Level 3 water restrictions... I just pointed at the tank and said, "Not at my place"

My neighbour has a spare wheelie bin (don't know where he got it) and collects the final rinse water from his washing machine. As soon as the wheelie bin is full, he connects his pressure cleaner to a tap he has fitted to the bottom of it and cleans his car. Cheaper than my tank and pump.

Cheers

MT

AnswerID: 179319

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 00:15

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 00:15
What about the car washing places like car lovers and others with high pressure
AnswerID: 179374

Reply By: stevesub - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 06:54

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 06:54
Went to a Carlovers yesterday after several weekends of beach driving, then some mud driving. They have a sign saying they do not want muddy vehicles due to the water restrictions and the guy came to look at our Rangie but said it was not too muddy (the rain and drive home on Sunday washed a lot of it off).

So right now there would be no problem for Car Lovers for sand.

If there is a problem, looks like I will be visiting the Sunshine Coast to clean the vehicle.

It is a pain as we live on Bribie Is and are up the beach very couple of weeks. I have even taken to leaving the cover off the boat to collect water when it rains for general use - and also cleaning out the inside of the boat as we cannot use a hose on it.

I was suprised the other day when I measured the water that was used to flush the outboard motor - only 10L from a 15hp motor, flushed for 5 min using a hase of the screwin flush adaptor.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 179387

Reply By: BBB - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 07:50

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 07:50
Install a Rain Water Tank.

The BCC have extended the rebate for a period of time. The rebate is around $750 .

Ther are tank suplyers selling 3000 lt tanks for less than the rebate and the 5000lt for $825 you would also need a pump $150 to $250 , Ajust some of your down pipes, Some deco for the base and some rain.

Around $1200 sould set you up with the rebate from BCC of $750 your cost will be around $450 and you will have rain water to wash your car for along time.

Ther are good advantages to using rain water for washing your car, No clorine and other cemicals to streek on paint work Rain Water will give you a natail shine

It does not take mutch rain to fill a 5000lt Tank and we have rain for the last four nights.

Think about it

BBB
AnswerID: 179395

Follow Up By: j100 - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:00

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:00
BBB
Rebate only applies if tank is connected to the toilet and laundry I think you'll find

Another political trick
FollowupID: 435633

Follow Up By: BBB - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 19:51

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 19:51
Not so.

You must have the following;

You must have a hose cock on the out let of the tank and the down pipe conected to the tank with the over flow conected to the storm water.

Take a photo and send it with your cliam form to the BCC and you will recive your $750 rebate.

Ther are many supplyers the one I sore was Poly World but look in your loacal rag ther are heeps of them.

BBB

FollowupID: 435721

Reply By: skichic - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:11

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:11
Have thought about a rainwater tank, didn't realise you could get them so cheaply. Any recommendations on suppliers?
AnswerID: 179402

Reply By: Turbo Diesel - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:22

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:22
Just been to Moreton Island and in the exact same situation, however i'm leaving the sand in the chassis for a week to let it dry out as ironicaly it has been raining lately, then i'm starting up the compressor and putting the airgun on the end and will be blowing out the sand from the chassis. Works a treat, actually at times i think it is better than water, as water can clog sand. By the way high pressure is not the way to go when using water, a high volume or quantity is better, the high pressure can just push the sand further into the vehicle, you want the sand to flow out with water not be forced into small cracks etc.

Try the air compressor and see how you go, i have fully cleaned inside the new lux but can't wait to get rid of that sand under the body, by the way go and buy two to three buckets fill em up and wash your car the old fashoined way, car lovers etc personally are a waist of money.

cheers.
AnswerID: 179404

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 10:40
I agree, the air gun is the BEST way to get rid of sand from INSIDE the vehicle, better than any vacume cleaner. Also what you say about blowing the sand off once it's dry could have it's benefits.

Personally, though, I'd be wanting to give the under body of my car a really good rinse with water to get the salt off it. Blowing the sand off is not going to get rid of the salt residue.

Anyway, I'm on the otherside of the world here, what's this level 2, level 3 crap? We just can't turn our sprinkers on except on specific days and between 6pm and 7am depending on your street number (unless you have a bore, like me :-P Then you can tell everyone to suck eggs)

Actually the bore thing is kinda dumb as I live very close to "the pines" where a lot of Perth's water is bored up from the underground supply, so really I'm just using the same water, just not having it processed before it comes out the sprinkler! But Shssssssh!, I'm on a good thing.

FollowupID: 435629

Reply By: Turbo Diesel - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:25

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:25
Water restrictions is a whole new topic, basically there are levels that have certain rules for example Level 2 water on certain days depending on your street address, odd or even. Level three "No hosing period, only can use a bucket, can't fill the pool up etc" SUCKS but thats what happens when the gov't has not built sufficient dams. ANYWAY, i also give the whole car a wash with a BUCKET (PAINFUL) and spray the under body briefly (car lovers) to get the salt of, then let it dry to use the air gun.

PLEASE RAIN
AnswerID: 179427

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:28

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:28
skichic ,,, get yourself down to a E.R.P.S fitter/ auto electrician and the beach driving cleanup becomes a nevermind , and before the doubting thomases want to start ,no I do not have a vested interest ,and yes I have the system on my vehicle just as I have had it fitted to all my vehicles since1985 ,defy anyone to find rust on same.
AnswerID: 179526

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 22:15

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 22:15
Hi,

I have the same system on mine and it is great, but in my opinion you still need to do a freshwater wash out ASAP after being in the sand and salt.

The wash is not only designed to get rid of salt, but also to help get rid of sand that has made its way near seals, boots and moving surfaces. It can do a lot of damage over time due to friction if proper maintenance isn't carried out.

Just my opinion.
FollowupID: 435758

Sponsored Links