CV joints on Prado Grande VX auto

Submitted: Friday, Aug 10, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 351 Views:2036 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've read a recent article that CV joints are a common Toyota spare part. My left one went at 112k, and so I'm now hesitating on going on another trip, as i have doubts about the right one. Has anyone who owns a Prado experienced similar problems? I've put in a reconditioned unit. Was this the best solution? Or should I have put in a genuine Toyota replacement?
Also, is the CV joint itself (not the shaft) interchangeable bewteen left and right sides? and if so, is it easy to change a busted CV joint in the desert? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joseph Baz - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2001 at 00:00
John,I have a Prado with 119000km yesterday i done the 120000km service,no problems with either of the joints,I also have old man emu suspension wich raised the veh about 50mm increasing the angle of the cvjoint,what i have noticed is a bit more friction to the sides of the rubber boots,but you just have to keep an eye on it.
the joints are interchangeable l to r but it is not the job i will like to be doing on the side of the road.
what was you original problem?...did the boot split??
also when im in the sticks every morning i take a good look under the veh. to make sure no leaks or other problems are found
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 883

Reply By: Joseph Baz - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2001 at 00:00
John,I have a Prado with 119000km yesterday i done the 120000km service,no problems with either of the joints,I also have old man emu suspension wich raised the veh about 50mm increasing the angle of the cvjoint,what i have noticed is a bit more friction to the sides of the rubber boots,but you just have to keep an eye on it.
the joints are interchangeable l to r but it is not the job i will like to be doing on the side of the road.
what was you original problem?...did the boot split??
also when im in the sticks every morning i take a good look under the veh. to make sure no leaks or other problems are found
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 884

Sponsored Links