Prado 2000 model Auto

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 22:18
ThreadID: 35123 Views:2580 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all finally convinced the wife to get rid of the commodore and get a turbo diesel prado 99/2000 model (series 2).We were looking at the 3.4 petrol but they are quoting 17/18L per 100 k so are going the diesel.Claimed 9/11L per 100k doubt that would be carrying a load presume thats 100klm hour driving with no 4wding involved and all highway driving could be wrong. Anyway what to look for, have been told about dash rattles but supposidly an easy fix, other than that havnt heard anything bad from any thing I'v read. Looked at the base RV on the weekend surprised to see it had abs an dual airbags, not worried about coloured bumpers and stuff as it will be fitted out with arb steel bar, brush bars, and steel side steps, snorkel etc, mind you the one we looked at had 146k on it but it's last service was at 50k has not had a service since not even an oil change looked under the oil cap full of sludge typical salesman ah that all right its diesel they run fore ever I sayed yeah will oil changes they do,anyway wont be touching that one, any major things I should be wary of would be appreciated. Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alanc - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:04

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:04
We have a petrol 2001 and are happy with it although its a little thirsty around town .our previous car was a Rocky so this was luxury to us . (We get about 600kms out of a 90ltr tank = 15ltrs/100kms). One small annoying feature with ours is a noise/rattle (Mechanic called it a resonance) that comes in at about 2750 and goes at 3000rpm. I have spoken to many about it and I'm told its a well known problem with this model , it can't be fixed , its something that we have to live with , its not harming the car - just bl... irritating to us. The one thing I found strang with ours its a 2001 50th Anniversary Model but its not equiped with any airbags or abs !

Regards

AC
AnswerID: 179576

Reply By: Alfantz - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:57

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:57
Hi Stephen,
AnswerID: 179654

Reply By: Markymark - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:09

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:09
4wd Monthly had a story on used Prado's in their May '06 issue that was quite detailed for once! I used these tips just recently when I bought a '98 Grande petrol-still had a RACV check to be sure. I wanted a diesel too but couldn't justify spending an extra $5-8 grand (that's a LOT of fuel) plus they're quite rare as people don't part with them. The market is flooded with petrol wagons at moment so you have choice and bargaining power.

My first re-fill after driving it home sticking to 95-100km/hr and getting through Melbourne returned 13L/100KM which I was happy with (mine has BFG A/T and 2" lift so standard tread and height should get better). Have just finished 2 days touring around parts of the high country but haven't refilled yet, will post the results in a day or two.

The dual airbags and ABS were an option on the RV and GXL models, only the Grande have them as standard.

Mine also has the vibration thing around 2500-3000rpm which according to the above mag can be partly fixed with new exhaust rubbers and components.

Apart from usual wear and tear things to look for, some Prado specific things are:
*front inner wheel arch/firewall join, cracks if used offroad a lot.
*battery tray weld to the wheel arch also cracks if used as above.
*front and rear rubber bump stops have 'F' on top of them - you'd want these to be like new!
*head gasket leaks, particularly right hand rear.
*check sub-tank works, click over when test driving.

The 'usual things' are:
*tailgate shuts sweetly - can loosen with tyre on it.
*noisy water pumps.
*condition of carpet on top and below.
*odometer numbers line up.
*wear on seats, leather steering wheel and gearbox levers.
*scratches and dents underneath.
*gearbox noises manual & auto; clutch noises.
*amount of play in steering.
*some front wishbone ball joints were subject to recall.
*was another recall recently, can't remember what it was!
*gearbox/diff leaks.
*front tyre wear on outside.
*CV boots not split.
*how the car drives!
*service history.

Hope this helps.

Mark.
AnswerID: 179656

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 22:15

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 22:15
Thanks for that Mark will print that up so when we go looking I will know what Im looking at/for, we will be getting an NRMA inspection done as well but at least with those points I will know wether or not to even get an inspection arranged. Thankyou regards Steve M
FollowupID: 436150

Reply By: Alfantz - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:12

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:12
Hi Stephen,
I used to own a 2001 TX Prado. I can confirm that 9l/100km is possible in standard form. After a 2" lift (max for Prado) this changed to about 12l/100km. I thought the petrol was meant to get about 14-15l/100km. With the diesel you have to change the oil every 5000km. I bought oil filters in bulk (10 @ $20) from toyota and did ii myself. Known problems are, as you said, dash rattles (not an easy fix as it is poor design which causes it), Ball joint failure (for which there is a recall) and front diff failure (Oh what a feeling). After saying all this it was a great car. I was able to follow any Patrol or LC in all but the worst of tracks. It is more car like to drive and park. They have a low roof load rating because of the smaller track, so consider this if you plan to fit a roofrack. Mechanically the only problem I ever had was a broken front diff which was replaced under warranty. The reason I sold it is because the warranty ran out at 120k just after the front diff was replaced. I had really pushed this car to the limit of its ability off road so I didnt want an expensive repair bill if something else failed. There is a good Yahoo user group for the Prado/90 series available.
AnswerID: 179658

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 22:21

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 22:21
Thanks Alfantz, looks like its got the hilux syndrome IFS. Ah well we will still have the hilux for the really rough stuff, the prado will be used more for the frazer next year, high country at the end of this year, and the kimberlys later next year, as its got a good size tank, so hopefully be nice and comfy in the prado compared to the old lux, but other than my hub problem which will be fixed next tuesday its still a reliable old thing and has been worth every cent thats why i wont get rid of it. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 436152

Reply By: Mbr - Taz & Milka-Queanbeyan - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 14:31

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 14:31
Hi Stephen,

Do a search for - Lancruiser Owners Online......LCOOL - Its a great owners group. The ACT group is especially active with regular get togethers and trips in fact there is a group heading up the cape in about 2 weeks time.

I was looking for a snorkel recently and was quoted $590 fitted for an airtech ( for my petrol 99 Prado but I'm assuming they won't alter the price much between petrol and deisel). I searched around and sourced an Airtech from South Sydney Opposite Lock shop for $477 (not fitted).

My 99 petrol Prado has been great. I hope you get as much fun out of yours.

Cheers...Taz
AnswerID: 179673

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 22:25

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 22:25
Hi there Taz & Milka, thanks for the tips, pretty sure were going for the diesel over the petrol due to fuel consumption, depends on the wife she a bit of a lead foot so Im going more for the diesel at least that way she wont have the eceleraation she's used to in the commodore. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 436154

Reply By: Roddesh - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 20:01

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 20:01
Hi Stephen,

My Dad's got a 2001 TX TD Auto. He bought it new and still raves about it. He had the ball joints done as a recall during a service and that's it (120,000 k's plus now). On his last big trip, fully loaded and with a mix of highway, gravel and low range stuff he averaged 11.2l/100k's.

Feels like a sports car when I drive it... but I've got an 80 DX. :)

Good luck with your purchase..

Rod.
AnswerID: 179944

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 22:30

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 22:30
Hi there Rod, I think it will be the same for me after driving the old 89 2.8D hilux around which I am still keeping, I reckon I'v driven our commodore about twice so far this year and that feels like a merc to me after driving the old girl so the prado should be fantastic especially on those rough roads, ahhh the thought of comfy seats, cruise control, auto, and a bit of get and go, ohh its ok I was just dreaming for a minute sorry got side tracked a bit LOL, those fuel consumption figures look bloody great to me. Thanks Rod Take Care Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 436155

Sponsored Links