antennas

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:31
ThreadID: 35130 Views:1606 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have just purchased a UHF 090. Want to buy an antenna but am getting a little confused . Will be mounting on my bull bar heading to simpson desert nxt yr. Any recommendations. Have been checking out the presige site and visited several 4wd shops
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 10:07

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 10:07
I've got an elevated feed GME antenna setup on my bull bar - has gone very well in a variety of circumstances.
I reckon the equivalent at Prestige would be the 3 & 6.5db Ground Independant 4WD Antenna Package CD900 (it might even be GME).
Coax is wired into the antenna base already - spring base - elevated feed - 2 screw on antennas (short one for undulating terrain - long one for clear open terrain and longer comms). This type of antenna is recommended by the main retailer in SA as the best, while roof mounted - a bit of loss has to be worn if on the bull bar it seems, but less chance of damage in my view.
AnswerID: 179627

Reply By: Groove - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:28

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:28
I have in the past used stainless steel whip antennas, two in fact, both supposed to be havy duty and made in Australia, they were different models and both ultimately shook themselves apart. I have since purchased a heavy duty fibre glass whip and it has lasted much longer and has given me no trouble at all.

all have been bull bar mounted

Based on my experience I prefer a good solid fibre galss antenna.
Cheers
AnswerID: 179638

Reply By: Trevor M (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 21:07

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 21:07
I have a UHF 090 also. If you wish to utilise both the AM and FM bands that that radio is capable of you will need a separate antenna for each.

As has been said many times on this forum there is little chatter on AM (27 Meg) anymore so you may elect to forget about that one and only fit a UHF antenna.

I have both but rarely use the 27 Meg. Really only useful if you are in convoy with someone else that has one.

Trev
AnswerID: 179765

Sponsored Links