outback travel

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:42
ThreadID: 35132 Views:1671 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have a 120 series prado with std dunlops. Want to do the simpson next year . Do I need to change tyres[done 15,000] to all terrains?It it advisable to take an extra tyre,on or off rim? Can you change tyres on alloy rims manually without damaging them. EG using tyre breakers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: scoof - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:37

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:37
Hi I went across the simpson (2005) with a couple other standard 4wd's you don't need flash Harry tryes for that trip in my opion(none of us did).We had a two punctures all up on the rocks and gibbers before the Dessert and after the Dessert which we fixed with plug's no probs.
Good idea to take an extra spare if you have the room.
We let our tyres down to about 18psi to cross the Simpson and were lucky enough not to get suck once.Very important to let the pressure down for sand driving as you may already know.
Enjoy your trip it's a great place.
Regards Scoof
AnswerID: 179643

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:00

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:00
"were lucky enough not to get suck once"
If I could be so lucky!!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't help myself.
The Bigfella
FollowupID: 435880

Reply By: Mbr - Taz & Milka-Queanbeyan - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:24

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:24
Hi Wiggo,

Just a suggestion for you. Use the search facility at the top of the page. Try putting in " Simpson Desert " or " Tyre Pressures " or just about any topic you can think of.

The archives in this site hold an absolute mountain of useful information for anyone contemplating a simpson crossing or travel in the outback.

Cheers.... and have a great trip....Taz
AnswerID: 179679

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 22:47

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 22:47
Your standard dunlops are fine for the crossing itself. The main times that you'll get punctures is on the Oodnadatta, Pedirka and Birdsville tracks because they have sharp rocks. Trick is to keep your speed down, lower the pressures to about 25psi on your Prado, and don't overload the vehicle.

If you can't fix tyres yourself, then take a second spare. Anyway, 17 inch tyres would be rare and expensive out there.
A plug repair kit is always useful, and is how I prefer to fix punctures. The bead breakers can easily scratch mags. A car jack or high lift is what we use to break bead on mags.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 179789

Sponsored Links