Transmission oil for 80 series

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 10:20
ThreadID: 35134 Views:12483 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have read a few posts regarding using Castrol VMX 80 in the transfer case and gearbox.
We definitely suffer from a very notchy gear box when cold and the synchro's "go to lunch" when it's very hot, particularly when we are are doing a lot of low range work.
I've not been too worried by it all and am tempted to try the different oil before our next trip up to the dig tree.
We have had this petrol 80 series since new and it's always been the same...I did not think that a fix could be as simple as changing the oil.
My only concern is operating outside of manufacturers recommendations with what sounds like a heavier oil and if there may be any consideration towing our camper trailer (an Ultimate ), are things like load on the gear teeth when towing something I should be aware of? Effects of extreme heat etc ( I'm sure that I saw a reference to this on these pages but I can't find it now).
Any advice will be gratefully considered.
Steve.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:45

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:45
hi Bidgee1
like all vehicles 4W4 are no different when towing for long distances they get hot and it could damage the gear box you must do two things use synthetic oil and use a xtra cooler for the oil in the gearbox this will help in the changes too
snailbate
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 179665

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 14:22

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 14:22
Mate, www.lcool.org has quite a few mwmbers running this oil with not one problem....the gearbox does not have alot of load on it...the transfer does...i would keep the 80/90 in the transfer but use vmx-m in the tranny....you can buy full synthetic (vmx is semi synthetic) but it costs alot of extra cash, and i dont know what it is called....just change the 5 speed oil....the vmx is 75w90 isnt it??? that is proper gear oil....for your info, this oil was manufactured for Mitsubishi,....hence the m at the end.
Andrew
AnswerID: 179672

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 16:03

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 16:03
I have just changed my 80 series over to synthetic oil but have not not gone far enough yet to really test any difference.

I am using "cruiser oil" in the engine and "All terrain 80" in the gearbox.

It seems to have helped the cold notchy problem.

www.synforce.com.au/Products_1.htm

I got the oil from a truck supplies place in Strathpine?????

4litres of All Teerrain 80 cost $29.92
20l of Cruiser oil costs $107.25
AnswerID: 179685

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:01

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:01
Steve,

Like you I read a bit about VMX M (as opposed to VMX 80) on here. I finally managed to track some down today and will change it when I get a few spare moments over the next few days (80 series petrol, like yours and we tow a KK). The oil is semi-synthetic SAE 75W-85.

No particular problems with my gearbox, it is just due for a change, but I will let you know if it makes any difference.

Matt.
AnswerID: 179712

Reply By: FZJ 80 - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:27

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:27
Alan H,

I use Synforce All terrain 80 in my gearbox too (94 Petrol 80). I'm sold on it, had severe shift balk into 2nd cold, the at 80 solved the problem. Takes about a week of driving to "Bond" to the syncros. You'll see in a week or so.

Regards

Greg
AnswerID: 179739

Reply By: sjp - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 07:37

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 07:37
when i changed the oil in box and transfer case ,they both released air as though under pressure ,the transfer case did this when cold and from the drain plug (not the filler)is this normal or are the breathers clogged (i have complained to toyo before about a noisy transmission)
AnswerID: 179805

Sponsored Links