100 series handbrake

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:47
ThreadID: 35146 Views:3261 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I know this topic has come up a number of times but the problem still seems to persist.

Ok. 2002 100 series crusier, diesel 1hz GXL, liveaxle, ABS.

The problem is the lack of a handbrake. The lever needs to be pulled to the stops to work on medium slopes (forget steep slopes). 65k on the clock and the shoes I removed from the vehicle were almost down to the metal. I have only had the vehicle a few month (ex gov) and the service history indicated the handbrake was adjusted 4 times before it reached 20K and nothing since.

I replaced the shoes with identical ones (turned out to be the same as the 80 series) and followed the suggested advice about adjusting them.
-back every thing off
-adjust the shoes on fully and back off 4 - 6 clicks
-remove the slack from the cable (no cable adjustment at the lever).

All this adjusting 3 or 4 times (someone else helped and double checked the adjustments) and still no improvement from the old, unadjusted shoes.

I did read one article about a "placement bracket", anyone know what that is or what it does??

Any help would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 16:13

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 16:13
I can relate to your problem. Have a mate with a Hilux who holds his on hills on the CREB track with the handbrake.

On my 80 series, it is totally non-functional. Handbrake is wack it into low range to hold it and don't stop on steep hills.

It been adjusted a million times witha thousand variants and once or twice it almost worked but it quickly failed. I just live with it now.
AnswerID: 179688

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:48

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:48
Let them bed in and adjust them again.

They are quite a problem. I use genuine shoes as the compound is harder and the size is better. I have found the aftermarket shoes are soft and are not perfect in diameter.

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 179747

Reply By: Gerry - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:56

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:56
There are 3 adjusting points and apparently they all need to be just right. Firstly, there is the adjustment at the shoes. Then there is an adjustment between left and right cables, situated near the rear diff. Then there's an adjustment somewhere near the brake handle. Had a mate of mine who's in the trade adjust mine up some months ago and it has worked prfectly ever since. Mind you, it took him almost an hour to get it right. Prior to that it was all but useless. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it is possible if it's done in the right order.
AnswerID: 179822

Sponsored Links