Access to Murrumbidgee between Hay and Wagga

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 20:38
ThreadID: 35159 Views:1766 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Went down to Hay over Easter and had a great time fishing etc. While we were down there we found many public 'roads' leading to the river. Does anyone know if there are any of these public access roads leading to the Murrumbidgee between Hay and Wagga as we plan to travel around that area in October.
Regards Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 22:02

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 22:02
There is stacks of these roads going to the river around Hay, Darlington Pt and Narrandera, where you can follow your nose and camp pretty much anywhere along the length of the river you come across. I am sure if you leave it as you find it most people wont even know where you are camped, or care for that matter.
It is a beautiful river and I am envious to say the least. I used to camp on this stretch of river about every 2 months until I rearranged my working parameters just recently. Have fun.
Roachie and others may give you more local knowledge on particular camps but I tend to just follow my nose and camp pretty much wherever the track I'm on leads me to.

Regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 179777

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 22:32

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 22:32
One nice spot is the '5 mile'........east of Narrandera on the old Wagga road. It's a quaint little spot, but is next to a dirt road that has maybe 1 car a night go past. In summer there are a lot of speed boats and skiiers there. We stayed there just recently for an over-nighter. There are pit dunnys too.

Otherwise, just west of Narrandera on the Hay road, you can turn into there and find a spot, no worries. A bit further west is the Gogelderie Weir (spell check), which I believe was built in the 1960's to take water off for the Coleambally Irrig Area (but don't quote me on any of that info......I left 'home' (Narrandera) when I was 15, after joining the NAB in 1970.

If the 'bidgee is really low, you can still see a couple of remnants of a paddle steamer not far from the old railway bridge (Narrandera to Tocumwal line, now disused). That paddle steamer belonged to one of my ancestors in the late 1800's.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 435960

Reply By: DiD 05 Paj - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 13:23

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 13:23
I was in Hay over the long weekend and the Bidgee is very Low, and I mean LOW as they have closed of the river to fix the weir that has a hole in it.
AnswerID: 179870

Follow Up By: Laura B - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 13:25

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 13:25
Same as out at Wee Jasper - low - our creek is running more than that river!!

LAura B
FollowupID: 436041

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:01

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 14:01
Thanks everyone for the info.Hopefully by late Seprember things will have improved water wise.
Regards Bob
FollowupID: 436059

Sponsored Links