what sort of jack ?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 19:25
ThreadID: 35185 Views:2381 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
in the market for a jack for my jackeroo as the one that comes with car isn't worth a pinch of cold tea just for a basic flat tyre scenerio ,space is a issue
mainly for on road driving
type ? brand? $$$$$
would appreciate you thoughts
cheers tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 19:40

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 19:40
What model Jackaroo?

The manual bottle jack that came with mine is actually quite good. Just a bit of a pain to get it and the handle out of the storage area.

I also carry a 3 tonne hydraulic jack but I wouldn't say it's any quicker, or any easier to use, than the manual one.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 179941

Follow Up By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 20:07

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 20:07
2001 se td auto
cheers
FollowupID: 436125

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 21:58

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 21:58
If you only change one flattie a year, who cares what time it takes, or if the jack is less than ideal?

In my case, I seem to do much more that that, so necessity being the mother of all inventions..........................................

I bought an 8 tonne hydraulic bottle jack, Lion brand, for about $ 50 (from SuperCrap, I recall). I crafted a slip over extension for the piddly, collapsing handle. I drive a GU Patrol. the replacement bottle jack stores in the space alongside the wheel arches, next to the roller _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, under an access lid

The only reason I got an 8 t was i was chasing height at full extension.

When a flattie occurs, it is beyond the limit of most jacks, in one movement, to raise the vehicle high enough to replace the flattie with an inflated tyre. That is, often one has to chock the jack, or the vehicle, with a block of hardwood, and then take a second effort to get the wheel hub high enough to allow an inflated (taller than the tyre which is flat on the bottom) replacement to be installed. I wanted to avoid that, so got the 8 tonne.

However, I am not that keen on crawling under 3.5 tonne vehicles, so after a few short years of this, went back to the old High Lift jack. I had not used it for about 10 to 12 years, as modern vehicles do not have sections to lift off/ get purchase on. So I got two adaptors welded to the front on the ARB bullbar, next to the over riders - front end lifting solved.

A tongue insert into the Hayman-Reese style towbar doubles as a lift point for the rear, as well as providing a location for a rated recovery shackle for a snatch 'em. Rear end lifting solved.

A tyre change is soooo much easier now. I carry a ply sheet - about 10 ply, which is cut to just fit under the passenger front seat, as a jacking base plate for both the bottle jack & the high lift.

The high lift jack now sits in fabricated brackets on the rear of the roofrack. I am aware of the issue of adding weight to a roofrack, but I cannot envisage anywhere else to mount it.

Cheers
AnswerID: 179965

Follow Up By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 03:30

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 03:30
another bottle jack might be the answer as have no where to use hi lft ,
plenty of food for thought .

cheers tony
FollowupID: 436178

Reply By: Penguin (NSW) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 10:01

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 10:01
Hi Tony

I bought a hydraulic jack out of a Disco from a wrecker. Nice and compact and seems to work fine.

Mike
AnswerID: 180040

Sponsored Links