285/75/16 Cooper ST tyre - RECALL

Submitted: Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 08:29
ThreadID: 35205 Views:5795 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I appologise if this thread has already been mentioned, but I thought I would shoot a quick message off just in case anyone missed the following info.

I received a call a couple of days ago from the tyre dealership where I picked up a set of the above mentioned tyres. Apparently, tyres produced towards the end of 05' had a fault and Cooper has recalled them. You need to check the inside wall of the tyre (not the white writting side) and look for either of the three following numbers ->2805 , 2505 , 2506.

This worked out great for me as they are on my Camper trailer and had done 15,000klms. I took them in while up in Cairns (purchased down in Vic) and the blokes here exchanged them for 3 brand new tyres - no cost.

He mentioned blokes who had done over 40K on them and he had to exchange them straight up.

Hope this is helpful.
Jake

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pprass - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 08:53

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 08:53
Do you know what the fault is? I am in the middle of replacing my 255/85/16 ST's (2nd time!) and so far the distributor has been very helpfull.
AnswerID: 180025

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 12:03

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 12:03
Hi pprass

When I had my one tyre replaced, I was told that the rubber was too thin on the sidewall and had been identified in quality control testing. But seems like there is more than one story doing the rounds.

Only one of my tyres was affected (it had beeen replaced earlier under warranty for a torn lug) and it was replaced for free. Unfortunately for me, it was my spare and had never been on the road. Oh well, ya get that.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 436240

Follow Up By: cowpat - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 13:13

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 13:13
I had a look on the web when ARB Northern gave me a call to tell me my tyres were probably recalled. They also sent a letter in the mail. I was impressed at their service. I was also impressed at the number and cost of recalls that Firestone (and separately Cooper) had gone through in the States some years back (different tyres, but check it out: http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/firestone/index.html).

For the current recall try the Australian Recalls site: Site Link

Or more info from the States from www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov:

Make : COOPER Model : COOPER DISCOVERER S/T Build Dates : Information not Available
Manufacturer : COOPER TIRE & RUBBER CO.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06T003000 Recall Date : FEB 03, 2006
Component: TIRES:TREAD/BELT
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 183602
Summary:
CERTAIN COOPER DICK CEPEK RADIAL F-C II, MESA C/T, TEMPRA TRAILCUTTER RADIAL RT, COOPER DISCOVERER S/T, DURANGO RADIAL XTR, MASTERCRAFT COURSER C/T, DEAN MUD TERRAIN RADIAL SXT, SIZE LT285/75R16, AND PRO COMP XTREME A/T, SIZE 38.50X14.50R20LT, LIGHT TRUCK TIRES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN FEBRUARY 1, 2004, AND JANUARY 21, 2006. THESE TIRES MAY NOT HAVE ADEQUATE RUBBER COVERAGE OF THE BELT EDGE DUE TO LOW TREAD GAUGE IN THE SHOULDER SLOT AREA OF THE TIRE. WHEN THIS CONDITION EXISTS, IT MAY EVENTUALLY CAUSE CRACKING AT THE BASE OF THE SHOULDER SLOTS RESULTING IN EXPOSED BELT WIRE WHICH COULD LEAD TO ACCELERATED BELT DEGRADATION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A SEPARATION. IF THE SEPARATION IS NOT DETECTED, CONTINUED USE MAY CAUSE THE PLY CORDS TO BREAK AND THE TUBELESS LINER TO TEAR AND LOSE THE INFLATING AIR.
Consequence:
LOSS OF AIR MIGHT RESULT IN LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL WITH VEHICLE CRASH THE POTENTIAL OCCURRENCE.
Remedy:
COOPER WILL NOTIFY ITS OWNERS AND REPLACE THE TIRES FREE OF CHARGE. OWNERS ARE BEING WARNED TO AVOID DRIVING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS UNTIL THE TIRES HAVE BEEN INSPECTED AND REPLACED. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 10, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT COOPER TIRE CONSUMER RELATIONS AT 800-854-6288.
Notes:
COOPER TIRE RECALL NO. 145. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Sorry about the caps, it's just cut and pasted.

Mine were a bit chipped anyway so I paid the difference and got a set of 305/70R16s instead, and am happy with the upgrade. Casper
FollowupID: 436255

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 09:57

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 09:57
Post 31756
AnswerID: 180038

Sponsored Links