Morton or Stradbroke

Submitted: Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 22:48
ThreadID: 3523 Views:1606 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I'm thinking of heading over to either Morton or Stradbroke island over easter. Unless that is you tell me that it will be to crowded. I've never been to either island so don't know which is the best. Been to Fraser many times and think it's great except for the growing crowds. I've only got 3 days and will most probably be camping. Can you tell me which island you think is better for sight seeing, 4wdriving, less crowds, etc. Do you know the barge costs? Any advice will help.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Angryant - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 07:22

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 07:22
Firstly, I think if you want to go to either island you had better book a spot on the barge NOW!! As for approximate barge costs (return), Moreton is around $200 (maybe a bit more now) and Stradbroke costs around $70. Travel time - Moreton about 2 hours, Stradbroke about 40 mins. Both are good for sight seeing and both will be crowdwd. If you intend doing some fishing I think Moreton would be the better of the two however Stradbroke does have better convenience ie. shops, pub etc. Hope this helps a little bit.
Angry
AnswerID: 13870

Follow Up By: Member - Nobby - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:18

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:18
Angryant.. As you say if you want to go to Straddie, book on the barge now. They cost $19.00 per metre( 85.00 per car on public holidays). I go over about 7 times a year and it costs me $200.00 with a Camper Trailer. I would not go over during Easter because of the traffic on the beach, but if you have no option then I suppose you have to put up with that. Still the traffic is no where as crowded as Fraser. I always camp down the Southern end about 6ks from the Pin, and there are some good spots there, but go over a day early if you want to get one over Easter. Camping fees are $4.50 per day per person( over public hols). Still a great place to go but the fishing is buggered because of the 6 net crews that rape the gutters. We have been fishing in a gutter and the bastards put a net around us and pulled in ten whiting, great for friendship on the beach. Not to sure what happens on Moreton but I am starting to look elsewhere to go( because of the fishing, or lack of). Still plenty of grubs in the sand but just nothing to catch.
FollowupID: 8250

Follow Up By: Member - Nobby - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:51

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:51
Just remembered also there are Beach driving fees. I buy mine for 12 months and they cost 80.00 per year. Not to sure what they are per day or week. I know that Bribie is a mamoth $21.00 per day or $35.00 per week. Don't forget this as they will book you. On Straddie you get this once you get off the Barge ( about 100 meters on left)
FollowupID: 8252

Reply By: Ray - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:59

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:59
Hi,

Thanks guys, thought easter would be pretty busy but am locked in to go to Brisy that week and thought it may make an interesting diversion. May however think of alternatives if it's going to be that busy.

Thanks.
AnswerID: 13880

Reply By: dougie - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 00:27

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 00:27
Go to morton!!!!!!!!!
busy but more room to hide
AnswerID: 13955

Sponsored Links