MICKEY THOMPSON TYRES

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 11:47
ThreadID: 35233 Views:8097 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi wise ones, I have had Cooper A/T 265 75 16 and got about 85k out of them with no issues. However I can replace them with MTX Mickeys at a cheaper price. Should I do it and what mileage is any getting at present out of Mickey Thompsons?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:37

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:37
When you're on a good thing, stick to it.
AnswerID: 180209

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 21:29

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 21:29
Have had BFG ATs for 70k including 40K around Oz the hard way. Have two spares and rotate every 10K . I pay attention to pressures on and off road.

My tyres seem to have heaps of tread left ?
AnswerID: 180228

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 02:03

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 02:03
Yes Glenn, but you are rotating between 6 tyres, not five like the rest of us.

Good question about the Mickey Thompson though!

I met a bloke on the beach at Bremer Bay who had them Dick Cepek tyres [made by Mickey Thompson] earlier this year. He looked at our BFG AT's [2 cars with them] and said, when you blokes gonna get some real tyres? HMMPPPHHH

His were almost brand new, and AFAIK they havn't been available in OZ that long, so how could he have any real comparison to BFG, or any other for that matter.
FollowupID: 436481

Follow Up By: South - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:29

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:29
Those Dick Cepek tyres have been available for quite a while now. I'm sure you've changed your brand of tyres in the past and known the difference instantly...

How come a thread about one brand of tyre always has people coming on board talking about how many km's or how good etc BFG is... Its always BFG that comes up in conversation, but you look around at the majority of modified 4WDs now days and a very small number of them have BFG AT's... go figure
FollowupID: 436506

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 13:15

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 13:15
By "quite a while now" do you mean 10 years?

What I'm getting at is these tyres probably havn't been around long enough for lots of people to test. Remembering that 80,000 klm can sometimes take 5 or 6 years to achieve.

As for modified vehicles, sure, there are bigger and better tyres around, but I would bet good money to say there are still thousands of forby's around with BFG on, and cosidering the bad press that Coopers are getting at the moment, those cars will get another set too. Having said that, I too have wondered about the Mickey Thompsom tyres. I will be up for new tyres in less than a year, and I must say I have had a great run from these BFG.

SO, yes, I am very interest to hear what anyone with Mickey Thompson tyres has to say.
FollowupID: 436513

Follow Up By: South - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 18:37

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 18:37
Would that be the same bad press as what the BFGs are getting... ;o)

Remeber, the press are the same people telling us that 4WDs are killing machines...
FollowupID: 436541

Follow Up By: Exploder - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:56

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:56
Coopers have had a advert running in the Sunday Times motoring section for the last couple of moths at least.

Must be trying to get rid of some of the bad press, But hay I have Cooper AT’s, about to get a set of ST’s even with all the bad press about em.
FollowupID: 436554

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:13

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:13
I must admit I have become paraniod about tyre rotation so didnt really care when I got the other spare, could never get the 5 tyre rotation right !

Looked at Cooper ST s in the shop the other day , I rekon they look like an in between tread from ATs to muddies.Will be interested to hear how they go.

Read a tyre comparo in a major 4wd mag a few months ago , was supposed to be best all round AT tyre , but surprise surprise Coopers didnt win outright ! they had to add everything up again and state the best performer offroad only was the coopers, you can hardly call that impartial, then Coopers advetise in the newspaper about being voted #1 in the comparo.

Glenn
FollowupID: 436627

Reply By: Neetas - Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 21:27

Wednesday, Jul 05, 2006 at 21:27
It would appear that BFGs are a tyre of the past in many respects, with a lot of talk about a change of compound. No doubt, having been so popular in the past, people will keep buying them. Coopers have made a lot of inroads and seem to be the king pin nowadays. I purchased some ST's about 5 years ago and had them replaced under warranty for unusual tread wear. Happy with the service & I'd definitely buy them again. My last set of tyres were Pro Comp Mud Terrains which have been impressive (run on offroad rims for touring/trips) and HTs for the daily grind.
Now there's the STCs and the new STTs in Coopers too consider, none with km warranty, and at least on paper, both with the new softer, antichip compound.
In the end the difference in price will be marginal, given the life of the tyre, so choose the best ones you can afford.
Everyone will have there opinion on what is best, so whether it's Coopers, Pro Comp or Mickey Thompson, you're dealing with the premium end of the market and will end up with a quality tyre whatever your choice. Good luck!
AnswerID: 182006

Sponsored Links