GPSmap 276C - looking to buy - any advice from people that own it ?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:00
ThreadID: 35235 Views:2268 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
HI all -- looking to buy this GPS as stated in the topic - i am a total novice and never owned a gps before, s0 i can ask the shops all the details but they will only tell me the good stuff --

can anyone tell me about them -- if they like them ? are they compatable with other brands of software ? gps0z.com.au has a marine-road package for about 2k$

should i just get that basic unit and source the software elswhere ??

any help apreciated

Boc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:10

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:10
Can't help with that brand but I can tell you that whatever GPS you buy should depend on what you want it for :))
AnswerID: 180205

Reply By: Bruce M - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:13

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:13
Boc

I have a 276C sourced from GPSOz. It cost around $2k a year ago including software and the map City Navigator Version 6 (ie the complete package). I have found it a great unit. My only complaint is that the screen is a little hard to read with bright sunshine flooding into the front seat of my vehicle.

If you are planning to go offroad, you might want to consider buying the PRO version of Tracks4Australia (contact aussietraks@iinet.net.au, cost $50). That has good coverage of tracks and minor roads, which City Navigator does not. However City Navigator gives auto-routing as well as moving map display, whereas Tracks4Australia gives moving map display only.

If you want to load both City Navigator and Tracks4Australia at the same time, and cover all of Australia, you should consider upgrading the memory in the 276C. The largest available is 256Mb.

Bruce M
AnswerID: 180206

Reply By: Member - Tim - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 18:57

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 18:57
Hi Boc,

I have the 276C and am happy with it. The reason I am happy though is that I bought that model for a purpose which was to be able to use it both in the car and the boat and it does both of those quite well.

The dissapointment when using any GPS with maps seems to be the quality of the maps that you can get. I have the latest City Navigator and the Blue Charts for south east Qld and northern NSW and they both seem to have holes when you really want them. I also have Metro Guide but that seems to have been made redundant by the latest City Navigator. The auto navigation around Brisbane and other areas is great in City Navigator and has been a real help but when you get off the beaten track it is no better than any other GPS. The same goes for the Blue Charts, great if you happen to be in an area that is covered but a pain in areas that I thought should be covered like the southern part of Moreton Bay.

With Garmin you are restricted pretty much to maps bought from them though alternatives are starting to appear. With the GPS276C you are restricted to a memory card purchased from them where some others allow things like compact flash. If you know this and the other features make up for it then it is still worth while. As I said I am still happy.

Hope that helps :).

Tim.
AnswerID: 180213

Reply By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 09:07

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 09:07
Hi Boc,
I have the 276C and am very happy with it. Bought it from GpsOz a couple of years ago. I have bought the mapping for Canada and New Zealand and used it in both countries without any problems. As as been previously noted there a few holes still in outback Oz so I wll be looking at Aussietraks software before I head to the Kimberley's in a week.

GeeTee
AnswerID: 180244

Reply By: chump_boy - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:40

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:40
They look good, but $2000 for an electronic map?

Mabey I'm just getting old.......lol

Cheers,

Chump
AnswerID: 180357

Sponsored Links