Tom Price - Karajini....Places to go????

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 15:14
ThreadID: 35248 Views:2823 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
If my plans come together I'll have about 10 days in and around TP and the Karajini in July..

I can venture further afield if necessary but am chasing info from those experienced in the region on the must see places in this part of WA

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: extfilm - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 16:18

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 16:18
hey mate,

The highest peak of WA is just south of Karajini, Mt Meharry and is accessable thorough private property. The visistors centre can give u more info. I think it may even be part of Karajini national park.......
NE of Karajini is millstream chichester np..... Also witternoon is worth a look
AnswerID: 180272

Follow Up By: 1arm - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 18:48

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 18:48
Personally I would avoid Witternoom given its history
FollowupID: 436545

Follow Up By: Member - Rotord - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 17:43

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 17:43
Wittenoom is well worth a visit . Local gem shop and museum has some very interesting comments to make on asbestos . The Monastry has good cheap accommodation or could advise on camping , their phone o8 91897060 . Locals are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet .
FollowupID: 436687

Follow Up By: 1arm - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 18:06

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 18:06
Well my wife has some interesting comments as well having looked after her mother as she died from mesothelioma.
If you want to know more there is a good book called Blue Murder which explains quite clearly the history of asbestos right back to the fact that the romans knew it was evil stuff through to the history of wittenoom.
It has cheap accomadation because 30 years after you visit you may end up dead.

FollowupID: 436690

Follow Up By: Member - Rotord - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:06

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:06
Hello 1arm

My condolences on the passing of your wife's mother . Dying from mesothelioma is one of the worst deaths imaginable and understandably has a traumatic and lasting effect on all involved . But you are wrong in your assertion that you risk mesothelioma by visiting Wittenoom and you are wrong to assert that is the reason for the accommodation being cheap .

Although it is WA government [ or public service ] policy to close Wittenoom down , the government's own scientific adviser who investigated the Wittenoom situation found no hazard in the continued occupation of the town .

The accommodation at Wittenoom is cheap because the real estate in Wittenoom , including tha monastry , is cheap and the owner doesn't have high overheads to pass on .

I sympathise with your aversion to anything connected to asbestos and can understand your view , but I can also understand the view of the residents of Wittenoom who wish to live in a very beautiful part of the world and who seem to have scientific advice that it is safe to do so .
FollowupID: 436838

Reply By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:20

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:20
Andrew

Having spent nearly 12 months up there the following spots are highly recommended:

Weino Gorge (Karijinni NP)
Fern Pool in Dales Gorge (Karijinni NP) excellent for a swim
Hamersley Gorge, again excellent for a swim.

Slightly further afield Exmouth and Coral Bay are also recommended.

Snowy
AnswerID: 180303

Reply By: arewelost - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:55

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:55
hi if you are traveling to or from tom price re karijini avoid sunrise or sunset at one point in the road you travel up hill directly into the sun and you can't see a thing and there are 3 bends in the road i have been caught before if you are leaving tom price for the coast you can travel the rail service road permits from tom price this takes you to karratha it has some good spots along the way and cuts a lot of kms off the trip if you get that far try cossack and point sampson
have a good trip
AnswerID: 180327

Sponsored Links