help choose a 4wd for me

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:00
ThreadID: 35254 Views:2174 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Below is a list of the 4wd's I'm considering and their pro's and cons from my research.......... comments are welcomed :) My budget will be 20k + or - 2k (not definite yet) and these are within reach for me. Will be a daily driver doing stuff all k's (200 on a big week) and need to take me anywhere I want to go on holidays so longer trips etc. Don't do hard stuff anymore had my fun! As long as there is room for me and the missus and all the gear I'm happy, extra seats are a bonus but not at the cost of space for our gear......... I'm not a taxi :) Oh yeah must be diesel too.....

# Land rover Defender (up to '98ish)

* Coils, tdi w/out electrics, disks f/r, very capable stock, I love the looks
* Rover reputation, stupid handbrake! bad ergonomics! Reliability and parts out bush?

# Nissan Navara (02 - 04) single cab

* Awesome turbo diesel, good looks, lsd.
* Parts? They're all bloody dual cabs w/ tubs not trays!

# Patrol coilcab (GQ - gu out of budget)

* Reliability/ tough, parts everywhere
* Overpriced as used units, have to budget for a turbo, all seem to have lots of k's

# Hilux Single or xtra cab as late as I can afford

* Easy parts, proven reliable, aftermarket everywhere, std height is good
* Expensive 2nd hand, have to budget for a turbo again (3k ish)

Leaning toward the navara single cab right now but I'll have to find one :) Great diesel, good price, do what I need and looks good. Any comments........
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: extfilm - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:30

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:30
I reckon the single cabs are the best........ small diesel engines are more economical and my late 03 Hilux (single cab) can get up to 700kms on a 77l tank..... Very reliable. Have 103000 kms on the clock. looking to get rid of it very soon.
Am unsure as to the navara as it is only a few weeks old but so far am getting 600k per tank but still needs to b run in.
both are 3l diesels and run great.......
I really wouldn't go for a defender :( have heard loads of bad reports about them
AnswerID: 180295

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:54

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:54
A landrover defender or even a discovery is the only choice - the others are non-events
AnswerID: 180298

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:06

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:06
Who needs a GPS when you own a LR, follow the oil stains and broken bits all the way home........

BTW in response to the Q, go a GQ, they have held their value for a bloody good reason. Consider a wagon for extra securuity of your belongings, unless you specifically require a tray.
FollowupID: 436557

Follow Up By: Richard D - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:17

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:17
I Agree,

Go for a TD5 Discovery. I tow a 900 kg camper trailer and still get 10 ltrs per 100 k's with a Diesel.

Sure I've done the suspension upgrades and have a Davis upgrade on the ECU, but you couldn't get a better vehicle, nor more comfort.

Toyotas and Nissans are good vehicles but they are just TOO BIG. Plus the one very important thing that the Japs have never failed to master, is the ability build an decent seat. I note that on some of their vehicles is that they are outsourcing seat building to the Europens.

All this nonsence about them leaking bodily fluids is just that - nonsense. I have never had a problem in 113,00 k's. I traded at Landcruiser 80 series because they are just NOT as comfortable in comparison to a Landrover.

I'm getting old and need my comforts.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Richard
FollowupID: 436559

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:28

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:28
I'd have to put my hand up, and say go a Landrover.

I've had a 98 V8 Disco, and an 03 Defender. We never had a problem with the disco - it was comfortable, roomy enough for us, and just sounded sweet when it was reved up a bit.

The defender's clutch went at one stage, but the new car warranty supplied us with a hire car, and everyone was pretty nice. Other than that, it was loud, leaked and pretty basic, but it got more looks than anything else I have ever driven, and it was just nice to drive. And the number of people I met in that thing was amazing! Every other defender driver waves, and has a chat if you are stopped for some reason.

I would stick with an older model defender if it were me. The 03 had too many plastic bits for my liking, and it was pretty technical under the bonnet. I am currently looking for a Series 2 Land Rover to restore, so my opinion is a little biased.....

Having said all that, I drive a 105 Series Landcruiser now - the wife was never keen on the defender for some reason.

Cheers,

Chump
FollowupID: 436603

Reply By: Member - Axle - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:04

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:04
Hi MJ1

If there is only two of you And the rought stuff is over, what about a good soft roader?, Subaru Forrester Fit the budget and very capable vechicle, Reliability plus. Just a thought!

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 180309

Follow Up By: mj1 - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:19

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:19
No. Flat no :) I like 4wd's not road cars :) Seriously though I wouldn't even contemplate heading offroad without low range..... its fine until you really need it. Add to that things like insufficient height, no recovery points etc........ I'm in the market for a real 4wd ute or large wagon matey. The jap commercial utes are about as low as I'd go in offroad capability terms (navara, hilux)

Leaning toward navara at the moment but the idea mentioned of going GQ wagon has merit too...........
FollowupID: 436595

Reply By: arewelost - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:42

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:42
hi there
i have a narvara my third the current one is on 310000ks just re built the box and transfer the rest is sweet all 3 have been very reliable they have 1 downfall not very much wheel travel on the front end on the long open run about 11ks per litre on soft sand about 7ks per litre you won't get one without a tub as that is factory std on the hwy running empty hard on the back end they bounce a bit there are very few after market parts for them and mounting a bull bar there isn't much to bolt to that is substantial but in all i am still very happy with mine cheers steve
AnswerID: 180325

Follow Up By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 23:21

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 23:21
Take a breath mate;-)
FollowupID: 436586

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 00:34

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 00:34
Now that the dust has settled a bit, I'll give my two bob worth. These are some good and bad bits from 4WD's I've owned.

My first 4WD was a landcruiser ute. Go absolutely anywhere, no nonsense.
Paint job?..... what paint job?......... but did I say practical ???
Chuck your bleep in the back, firewood, toolbox, the dog, what ever, great!!!
BUT.....no security for your belongings.
Hard suspension on the road.
Everything in the back gets dusty, or wet.

Second was a Nissan Navara V6 dual cab.
Best of both worlds.
Could take passengers or extra gear and still chuck bleep in the back.
Can't sleep in it.
That sitting possition got to me in the end [feet forward, not down]
Front wheel travel was a real bugger and is the reason why I'll probably never own another forby with IFS [independant front suspension]

Third was a petrol 60 series cruiser. NOW WE'RE TALKING.....
Enough room inside for two to sleep in the back [we were younger then]
Good suspension.
Could pull a house down.
Enough room for fridge, tools, bags and whatever else.

Now I have a diesel GU wagon.
All-round coil springs are excellent off road, and excellent on road too!
Not many manufacturers make diffs like these guys.
We sleep in it regularly.
Plenty of room.

The GU is partly funded by my employer. So if I had to buy a car on my own, right now, it would be a wagon, have coil springs, and be a 6 cyl diesel. From there it would be a toss up between a GQ Patrol and an 80 series cruiser.

The Patrol gets a vote because of the diffs/gearbox/engine, but loses a vote because they tend to get little rattles and squeeks more quickly in the body/panels etc;

The landcruiser gets a vote for simply having a tailgate.
The one thing I miss most about my 60 series cruiser is the tailgate.
Open it where ever you are and you have an instant table that will not wobble, fall over, blow over, and it will hold the weight of three adults and is always there.

Making lunch, or rigging up a fishing rod, it's there. When I bought the GU it is the one consideration I did not pay enough attention to!

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 180524

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 00:59

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 00:59
"...The landcruiser gets a vote for simply having a tailgate.
The one thing I miss most about my 60 series cruiser is the tailgate.
Open it where ever you are and you have an instant table that will not wobble, fall over, blow over, and it will hold the weight of three adults and is always there.

Making lunch, or rigging up a fishing rod, it's there. When I bought the GU it is the one consideration I did not pay enough attention to!..."

Make a drop down table that folds down from the passenger side rear door (tailgate), about 24"x18", held horizontal by light chains or rope. You can't sit on it, but you can do almost anything else with it.
FollowupID: 436783

Follow Up By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 04:00

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 04:00
Good point Mr Oz, there is always improvisation! It's also good to have what you need incorporated into the vehicle design; I'm vertically challenged so tailgates make it harder to reach into the rear of the vehicle without climbing onto the tailgate. Barndoors are perfect for midgets and gnomes... And when I need some bench space, what's wrong with the ground? I'm not 70 yet and can still sit cross-legged and get back up. Although at 42 I know I'm just a whipper-snapper on this forum ;-)
FollowupID: 436785

Follow Up By: Muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 23:26

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 23:26
Yeah I've seen them things but don't like 'em.

Like I said, having had a tailgate on the Landcruiser, I miss it now.

I had several people comment while we were making lunch on the beach with everything spread out on the tailgate, right where you need it, and steady as a rock!!! Plus the overhead shelter from rain is an extra bonus.

Anyway, they were just some good and bad points I thought might be of interest considering the question at hand.
FollowupID: 437016

Sponsored Links