Cape York

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:37
ThreadID: 35270 Views:1751 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I leave for our second 14 day camp out tour to Cape York tomorrow. We had to cancel all our May tours due to weather and closed roads. The road workers have done a sensational job repairing the Development road in double quick time and should be comended. I know you guys from down south are keen to do the OTL but the longer we can leave it the quicker it will heal and we can all use it again. Likewise Batavia, if people go through too soon it will not really be useable this season. Enjoy the Cape folks but please treat it with respect, it is our livlihood and many of the stops along the way are alreay having a very tuff time of it this season. Cheers Rob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:56

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:56
Hi Rob, the SIDS charity bikes were up there early this month. From what I gather here, they may still be there...somewhere :))
My mailman is off on Sat but I suspect that he just wants to fish and drink. I've explained that there are restrictions etc etc etc, but I can see that he doesn't understand (care ? ) about the reasons why. Some people....
The Batavia track would be a doozy in wet weather if my memory serves me right. I wouldn't dream of doing it in its present condition, but thats just me.
Have fun :))
AnswerID: 180328

Reply By: Member - uncle - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:18

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:18
Have fun Rob & enjoy yourself,how bout a report when you return? We cancelled ours up there this year, but will have a crack at it next year.Cheers Laurie
AnswerID: 180353

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:54

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:54
Rob,

We will be heading to the Cape form Melbourne at the end of July so I'll be interested to hear from you after this trip. I assume the by pass roads are OK still then?

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 180359

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:42

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:42
Funny how the tracks change sooo much with the wet season!

I was at the Cape in September last year and when at Weipa there were people complaining about how their cars nearly fell to pieces on the Batavia Downs.... So off we headed only to find that the grader had only just finished the day before so it was like a highway.... 100kph from one side to the other... Don't know what all the fuss was about : )
AnswerID: 180396

Reply By: RippinRutman - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 15:32

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 15:32
Sea-dog.

Strange question, were you up at Weipa fishing?

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 180424

Sponsored Links