Ticking noise in Troopie 78 turbo

Submitted: Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:58
ThreadID: 35281 Views:1793 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
This car (Oct 2005 build) has travelled just 9000km and I have noticed a ticking noise a bit like a poorly adjusted valve when the engine is under load. Local dealer says this was typical of the previous model and is checking with Toyota in Japan (!) to see if it is the same with this model. Seems odd to me.
Any comments?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:50

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:50
Hello Keith,
I've got a Feb 2006 build of the same vehicle that is right now having its 10,000k service.
To my knowledge it doesn't make a ticking sound. I'll have a specific listen this afternoon when I pick it up.
Actually, I've just asked the guy I work with who's dad owns a 2005 wagon with the same engine and he says it doesn't tick either.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 180398

Reply By: zam045 - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 13:34

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 13:34
I had a similar problem on my 2.8D Hilux and it only seemed to do this under load.

Thje problem turned out to be the exhaust manifold, a couple of the stud had broken, so got this drilled and replaced with a new gasket and haven't had a problem since.

Cheers
AnswerID: 180411

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 14:50

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 14:50
Keith,
Ticking noise under load normal, not to sure about that comment, usually indicates a litle end / big end or valve train problem depend on the relationship between the ticking noise and the engine speed, half engine speed or running speed. So if it's normal he would know what the noise is and wouldn't have to check with Toyota. Could be a high pressure gas noise on the exhaust side, gasket or something like that. very hard to diagnose without hearing the noise.
I would pursue the answer with only 9k on the clock, if it dosn't sound normal to you and it seems to others on this forum that this is abnormal, nuff said.
My opinions etc etc.....
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 180419

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 17:32

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 17:32
Hi Keith,

I'd expect the dealer might at least check the valve clearances. Its a different system to most these days - with SOHC and 4 valves per cyl, each rocker activates two valves via a bridge arrangement, and it is adjustable - its not a shim system.

Mine is the same motor with 95k on the clock - ticks occasionally when cold or if it hasn't been used much. Becomes tick-free after a trip. The tick sounds like its coming from the injection pump. My valve clearances are fine.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 180449

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 17:36

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 17:36
Just as an aside, Keith, these motors can develop some EGR valve malfunctioning over time, and then they recirculate more gas than the should which fills up the intake manifold with carbon and the cat converter can clog up. Mine had this problem, and since I've cleaned out the carbon and fixed the EGR Valve so it won't open again, the motor's running better and fuel consumption has improved back to what it should be.

LCOOL site has info on this.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 436685

Reply By: cabbageoz - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 23:56

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 23:56
I know this sounds stupid but what do you do when you come to a tick gate
AnswerID: 180523

Reply By: dock - Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:29

Friday, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:29
Keith, This might be a long shot but had a similar problem in my 78 troopy. Found that the drain pipe on the bottom of the heater air intake (under the dash on the passemger side) had been kicked off allowing the noise of the motor to come through the firewall. Sounds like a ticking noise the faster the vehicle goes. Not sure if this is your problem but only takes 5 seconds to check
Cheers Dock
AnswerID: 181140

Sponsored Links