Tyres and Frase Island

Submitted: Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 13:39
ThreadID: 35287 Views:1747 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Am looking at doing atrip next year to Fraser and am in the market for some bnew tyres now.

So what I am asking is your opinions on the best tyres for doing Fraser and general touring??

I have a 91 2.8D Dual Cab Hilux, currently running the 16x6 SR5 rims however, was thinking about dropping down and going to 15x7 sunnies and running 31's.

Could I have you aopinions/advice on this matter.

Cheers

Zam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Scoey (QLD) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 13:45

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 13:45
G'Day Zam,

One of the best tires I've ever had for the beach would have to be the good ol' Desert Dueller. That's my personal opinion. Here's a thought but, if you're looking at getting a 2nd set of rims anyway - you might pick up a set of sunnies with some old tires on them that you could use for the sand and get some nice AT's or even MT's for your 16's if that's what you're in to? Like I said but - just a thought! ;-) If all you do is beach work then I reckon a set of Duellers would be the go! ;-) Have fun!

Cheers
Scoey!
AnswerID: 180413

Reply By: dags666 - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 16:25

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 16:25
zam i have been beach driving for 30 years now fraser double island morton etc i have got 100 series with bridgstones on it and on the old 75 series i had road gripers i had yoklahomas with skinny profile 15 ply walls and normal and staight tread and used them untill they were nearly bald . its all about tyre pressure and engine speed (knowing what gear to be in in different sand conditions). mate size of tyres and profiles.brands on sand all bull as long as they are round and hold air( on the beach 22 pounds if you get stuck let them down more)who gives a chit, just take a tide chart and do your driving at low tide.take a snatch strap in case you do get into trouble have a great holiday dags
AnswerID: 180438

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 19:26

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 19:26
Yep.... dags666 has said it well!!
The tyres don't really matter on the beach, the tyre pressure matters!!! That and the right gear for the conditions.
Personally, I run our tyres (33" Muddies) at 18psi & use low range second for beach entry/exit through the soft sand and so far have not been stuck on either Fraser Island, Rainbow Beach or 28 Mile Beach. I use high range 4X4 on hard sand and on inland tracks etc.... adjust speed accordingly.... at 18psi, I don't fang the Patrol around tight bends on the tracks on Fraser.... even up the eastern Beach the fastest I bother to go is about 70kph..... whats the point of being on such a beautiful part of Australia and going like a bat outta hell????? Miss too much of the scenery that way!!!

;-))

Hope ya have a good holiday..... Fraser Island is truly a beautiful place to visit!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 180469

Reply By: zam045 - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 08:38

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 08:38
Thanks for the help guys,

Will definately drop the tyre pressure and watch the speed, I'll be in no hurry when on holidays, haha.

It has given he something to think about anyways.

Another question, though, if i am going to be airing down when on fraser would if be worth purchase a decent air compressor so I can air up without having to goto a servo????? or shoudl I have an air compressor anyway just in case???

Thanks again guys
AnswerID: 180539

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:02

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:02
You won't regret having a good one to be able to cope when you are away from a servo. They don't have to be too expensive these days either.
FollowupID: 436805

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:54

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:54
Zam

I'd invest in an air compressor. If you get stuck up north and have to air down, it could be 50km to the nearest servo, and you don't want to driving on the hard packed sand at 80km/h on 15psi.

R.
AnswerID: 180547

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 10:43

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 10:43
As others have said, the type of tyre you have on sand doesn't much matter. Get a set of tyres that will handle the general touring you want to do (a good set of AT's should do the trick, doesn't matter much what brand) and they'll be fine for sand work.
Personally I'd stick with the 16's. If you go to the 15's you'll have to run a much bigger tyre profile to maintain your original diameter or you'll just end up using heaps more juice. In the long run you won't really achieve anything aside from looks. Also 16's appear to be becoming a far more common tyre size in the bush, rapidly replacing 15's, which means 16's are easier to get.

Fraser... Paradise... Leave on Saturday :-)))))
AnswerID: 180553

Sponsored Links