Patrol dash noises

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:52
ThreadID: 3530 Views:1890 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
OK, I know GQ's have some dashboard rattles as standard, but mine hasn't been too bad - until recently. It has developed a loud rattle which sounds like it comes from the right side and fairly high up. It sounds more like there's something loose and flapping and only comes in when I'm doing around 100 kph or more. Sometimes bumps will affect it but not always - almost appears related to speed/wind. I have pulled out the covers under the wheel arch - nothing found. Looked everywhere underneath in the vicinity - nothing. Stood on my head looking up under the dash for ages - nothing. Almost at the stage where I pull out the instrument cluster and also the air intake grille in front of the windscreen to see what I can find. I don't think it's in the heater as the fan makes no difference at all. It really is a fairly loud clunk/flapping noise and very annoying. Can't "feel" anything by touching the dash, door, floor etc either.

If anyone has any bright ideas or has gone through a similar scenario - PLEASE let me know before I run off the road trying to find it!

Thanks folks...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:13

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:13
Gerry,
A friend of mine had the same problem with his GQ, he found that in his it was the bonnet hinge which when closed is just on the other side of the dash top righ or left....

It was driving him mad until he found it.

Will
AnswerID: 13881

Follow Up By: Gerry - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 12:29

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 12:29
Thanks Will, you may be onto something there. I have only recently had the motor out and of course removed the bonnet. It's only since I put it back together that the noise appeared. I'll check it out on the weekend.

Cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 8256

Reply By: GPA - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 12:31

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 12:31
Gerry,

It could be worn rubber bushes for the bonnet. Could the bonnet be lifting up and down (about 2-3mm at the front) when travelling at speed. This sound might be 'misplaced' with all the road and wind noise ?

It could be a large leaf caught in the grille that has travelled through into the vent ducts...

Also, the instrument cluster is easy to remove. Apart from the obvious screws, there's one behind the ash tray, and four in the top of the vents. Take care to note the connectors you remove - as there were a couple of redundant wiring looms and connectors in mine.
AnswerID: 13886

Reply By: Member - Mike - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 13:18

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 13:18
Gerry, I'm interested in this as similar problems in my GQ. I too will check bonnet hinge. One noise I have surpressed came from wiring loom under dash and above stgeering column - two ties rectified that noise which was only noticeable on dirt.
Ihave a clunk which I feel through the floor only on certain bumps and at speed below 20kph. Again everything seems to be in place Clues?
regard
Mike
AnswerID: 13891

Follow Up By: Gerry - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 15:28

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 15:28
Mike, it seems that GQ noises are hard to trace sometimes. I had a strange noise coming from the floor pan abot 18 months ago on a run through the Simpson, also more pronounced at low speeds. It developed after some distance over the corrugations. It was quite loud and you could actually feel it through the floor pan in front of the passenger seat, however, everything looked OK, nothing loose or out of place. It turned out to be the floor flexing (particularly around corrugated corners as one would expect) and acting like a Rolf Harris wokka board - it's amazing how loud the floor "springing" like this actually was. Try pushing the floor pan either from above or below with your hand and see it you can make it "pop". I simply "de-stressed" the floor pan with a ball pein hammer and have not had a problem since. It doesn't need anything drastic - just a few solid taps in the right places seemed to do it.
FollowupID: 8266

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 17:17

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 17:17
There is also the body mounts...

They wear out the rubbers and cause a rattle and clunk..

GQs have lots of clunks inthe front, the Body mounts are supposed to fix a LOT of these! But $250 for 12 rubbers.
AnswerID: 13918

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 18:42

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 18:42
Thanks Truckster and Gerry, will do
Mike
FollowupID: 8279

Reply By: Stevo - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 20:10

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 20:10
Gerry, try a search on "bonnet hinge" (Thursday September 5, 2002)
Sounds like your problem.
AnswerID: 13930

Reply By: Stevo - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 20:10

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 20:10
Gerry, try a search on "bonnet hinge" (Thursday September 5, 2002)
Sounds like your problem.
AnswerID: 13931

Reply By: GOB - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 21:36

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 21:36
you people must be talking about the toyota gq it could not be a nissan
AnswerID: 13941

Reply By: Mark - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:15

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:15
Gerry,

I had a similar problem just recently which was also driving me mad.
What to do is in the passenger footwell up high on the left hand side, unplug the fan and remove the 3 screws that secures it to the underside of the dash, once the fan is removed you can get your arm up into the ducting where you will probably find alot of twigs etc.
My GQ had a twig up there that was about 18 inches long, removed all the crap and problem solved. It takes less than 5 mins to check.

Hope this helps Gerry.

AnswerID: 14150

Sponsored Links