upgrades for my nl Pagero

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 14:38
ThreadID: 35329 Views:2108 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can i start off by saying how happy i am with my Pagero in all areas on and off road. I have just sold my 99 Cruiser tray back 6 months ago and picked up my pagero. After coping heaps of crap about being a rich mans 4WD and a family car i have changed many a mans opinion about the Pagero.

I Recently got a high flow cat and 2 and a half pipe installed and the pick up and fuel consuption has improved marginally. It sound a bit loud at first however the annoying humming in the cab like most sports exhausts can hardly be noticed. This cost me $750 bucs but don't get ripped off by paying $100 for a chrome tip when you can go to super cheap and pick one up for $30.

My second little project just save me around $1800 for my drawer system. I built a bolt down frame made from 2 1/2 RHS. I then srewed heavy duty full extention drawer rollers to the frame. Folded and welded alluminium drawers with ply front's, screwed 12mm ply on the top. and marine carpeted the lot. looks a million bucs.

My next mission is the suspension which i was ready to buy however am in doubt whether to purchase the tough dog suspension or pay the extra now rather than later. I want to buy it complete with a 2inch lift kit also. Recently got quoted from oppiste lock $1100 for the complete tough dog suspension.

I look forward to hearing about other good ideas i can hopefully add to make it a better rig other than the obvious like tyres,roof rack, dual batteries and cosmetics.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 16:36

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 16:36
I would have to agree about the underated capabilities of the pajero. I had a NK (I think was a 96 model) and hated it until I learned how good offroad it was then my macho side was satisfied. Until then to me it was the wifes shopping trolley. hahaha

I didn't touch a thing on mine in 170000km.

Regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 180641

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 17:48

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 17:48
I have had my 96 NH GLX since new and quite happy with it.
Mainly touring, and use around SE Qld.

Good site for more info is Site Link

This the Victorian Mitsubishi club forum and forum membership is free. Just register.

In regard to doing more on the Pajero, first question is the use.
Are you intending to do more touring, or more serious off road use?

If touring, you are looking at carrying more load.
If mainly off road, such as serious tracks etc, you still need to keep the suspension supple for articulation.
Slightly different mods for each.

I have set up for touring, so have variable rate king springs in the rear (30% heavier) and a 2" lift. Front is still stock height with negative camber for better steering on roads and tracks. More than 2" rear lift and stock front may affect the camber in the front.
I have also gone for 32" OD 10 ply AT tyres for more clearance and durability out west. Havn't got a front winch.
I have lost some articulation with this set up. But I can carry 100 litres of water, 150 to 200litres of fuel, a roof rack with tent etc, a 2nd spare and 2 weeks worth of food without the rear end bottoming out on every bump. Have 2nd battery in front, fridge in rear etc.
If you want more off road capability, you may want to look at front bull bar and winch, and slightly heavier front torsion bars. You can get a 1 to 2 " lift in adjusting the front torsion bars.
Maybe set up a 2nd set of tyres being MT tyres for a quick fix for more grip. Bigger dia tyres help with that clearance under the front sump guard.
Can also get a 2" to 3" lift out of the rear. Might want to look at a front locking diff of some type, the front end lifts a wheel pretty easily. Maybe crawler gears to lower low ratio.
If going for lift, standard shocks will work for now with up to 2" lift.
But be careful going for shocks with too much bump resistance, look for more rebound control. The 4wd shops always want to sell you the 'tough stuff', real he-man stuff. It doesn't always work for want you want to do! Stiffer suspension puts more load into the mounting points and chassis.

There are a lot of accessories out there. Some useful, some just look good.

So have a think about what you want to do and how many people and what gear you need to carry in which situation, and option to suit.

Maybe hasten slowly, adding a little now and then and testing it out before going the next stage?

AnswerID: 180657

Follow Up By: bungeeboy - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:30

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:30
Thanks very much for the advice, greatly appiciated. I am leaning more towards touring however its really helpful to know what options i have. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 436918

Reply By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:09

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:09
I reckon I'd be learning how to spell it before doing too many more modifications
AnswerID: 180661

Reply By: bungeeboy - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:37

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:37
My appoligies for my spelling. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to spelling and stuff, part of growing up in the bush i guess.

Very embarrising not being able to spell my own car though i had to go out and check on the side.
Finlay.
AnswerID: 180665

Reply By: Member - Mark & Jo (Brisbane) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:14

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:14
We bought our Pajero 6 months ago and couldn't be happier, off road she performs brilliantly, not a problem to do anything or give anything a go.
(But then we had two great teachers hey Trev!!)
We also will be getting all new suspension and a lift done in the next few weeks when the tax cheques are done.
We had always been under the impression that it was an NH Pajero... I checked the vin/chassis number on the car rego papers the other day again the plate under the bonnet... the car yard where we bought the car from wrote some letters wrong on department of transport paperwork!!!!! so I now have to ring insurance company and dept trans to get it sorted, but it turns out the car is a NJ not an NH.... See unless you double check everything yourself you take someone elses word/written details as gospel.
AnswerID: 180914

Reply By: bungeeboy - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2006 at 18:37

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2006 at 18:37
I just Picked up my PAJERO today from ARB Townsville were i had Old Man Emu Suspension fitted. I got 4 new shocky's 2 new coils and 2 torsion bars. Cost me $1500 bucs fitted and its increbable the differnce it has made. Only problem is now my stock standard rims and tyres look like they belong on my boat trailor so the next hunt is for a decent set of tyres and or rims. Also made a 67 stainless steel water tank that fits snug behind my drawer system. Rigged up a little pump and put baffles in the tank also.
AnswerID: 182981

Sponsored Links