climate on the west coast

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:50
ThreadID: 35337 Views:1660 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi,
we are going to be driving up the west coast of australia after spending the summer months south.
from experience when should we wait until to leave, ie april, may.
is it safe to be in broome by end of april- in terms of tropical climate? or should we wait until may/june.
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davo - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 19:49

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 19:49
I'd recommend checking out the BOM Website for historical climate data - they're factual at least..
AnswerID: 180682

Reply By: Member - Karl - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 20:38
Late April should see the last of the cyclones and the weather improving - especially for travelling etc. The days will be warm but the nights can get cold.

A lot of the 'Grey Nomads' exit the southern regions around the end of May as they head north so that might be something to factor in.

Hope this helps.

Karl
AnswerID: 180709

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 23:55

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 23:55
April would be a good time to start - slow down in your travels if you find the weather too hot; plenty to enjoy along the way. May June will be no problem. Popular areas do get a bit overcrowded come June July.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 180754

Reply By: disco1942 - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 00:20

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 00:20
Last year when we were in the west the locals offered two pieces of advice:

1. Don't head south of Perth until after the show (early October)

2. Don't go north of Carnarvon in months with an 'R' in them.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 180759

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:27

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:27
what you will find is that the climate you encounter is what those in queensland would like to dream about only better and with real beaches. head nth after easter and depart broome the day after shinju and head sth - though if you hang around the best time of all is oct-nov when the nights are back to beeeutiful and there are few terrorists hanging around the beach. enjoy your trip. rgds
ps make sure your summer exploring includes the beaches east of esperance.....you may never want to leave.
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 180784

Reply By: Redback - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 14:31

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 14:31
Stay in the middle, then you won't have to worry, not to hot not to cold, always carry an umbrella and slip, slop, slap, don't drive too fast look before you cross the road, or wait for a boy scout to guide you across and always wear clean underwear, oh yeah and wash behind your ears and your hands before dinner.
AnswerID: 180827

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 14:49
Surprisingly enough, it is tropical in Broome all the time, that is because it is in the Tropic of Capricorn. If you are refering to the higher humidity during the build up and wet then that is different or are you worried about the cyclones?

As Broome sits in what is known as the Cyclone Coast I would suggest you get some stats from the Bureau of Meteorology website. Anyone could say, yes its fine, then along comes a big storm just like Larry did in NQ.

I like Redback's advice though....
AnswerID: 180829

Sponsored Links