Cape York in May

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 14:43
ThreadID: 3544 Views:1763 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I'm hopping to leave for cape york on the 9th of may 2003 for four weeks, as this is the only time this year I can take leave from work, and was wondering on your thoughts or expiriences on condition during this time of year.

Secondly will my standard 4.8lt Patrol with snorkel & winch be OK for the trip.

Thanking you in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troopie - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 16:11

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 16:11
G'day Pup
Last year I was up that way for 7 weeks starting in late May. Although we didn't get to the more notorious bits till early-mid June. We were fine, no problems at all really, although Palm Creek was "interesting". Having said that, it all depends - things can change drastically in a matter of minutes in someplaces.

How early you can head up there depends on where and how much rain fell during the wet.

AnswerID: 13997

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 18:21

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 18:21
Last year was the driest year since records were kept in some places up here. Cairns was ove 2 mts down on its average rainfall. Not much rain up here so far this yearbut wetter than last year. The Wenlock used to be the main barrier but a new causway has cured that. Give me a call a couple of weeks before you leave and I can let you know whats happening.

Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
www.4wdtraining.com
4wdtraining@cairns.net.au
www.cedarparkresort.com.au
FollowupID: 8333

Follow Up By: Tony - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:59

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:59
It's been raining bucket loads in Weipa for the past week, so the wet has finally arrived.
FollowupID: 8358

Follow Up By: Pup - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 15:19

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 15:19
Thanks Rob,

we are planning on using the easiest route up as we mainly want to do heaps of fishing.

Cheers and thanks again
FollowupID: 8375

Reply By: duncs - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 17:08

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 17:08
Pup,

In 99 left Sydney on the 23rd April for the Cape. When we arrived in Cairns, early May, the Archer was 7m above the causeway and the Wenlock 4m up.(This was prior to the new crossing)

We were able to take our time a little and let the rivers drop. Archer was 300mm when we crossed it.

While in Weipa on the way North we got heaps of bad info which stopped us seeing many of the things we wanted to. We finally set off to look at the "uncrossable" river and return home disappointed. All in Weipa deemed the barge made of 200l drums too dangerous. The barge was fine and we crossed. We had the area from there north virtually to ourselves and it was great. We reached the tip on the 25th May and returnmed to Sydney by the June long weekend.

Check out the Bureau of Meterology website for Rainfall distribution maps and with a bit of searching you can also find river hights. Also the RACQ have a web page witch gives reasonably good info on road conditions.

Go for it youll never know if you don't try.

Duncs
AnswerID: 14358

Follow Up By: pup - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:42

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:42
Thanks Duncs,

We have decided to do go on the 9th of May and see how far up we get.

Once again thanks for the info

PUP
FollowupID: 8658

Sponsored Links