Track damage or Thread lightly ?????????

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 00:04
ThreadID: 3557 Views:1841 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good day ! I have been 4wding for couple years already. Everytime when i re-visit the track that I have trackled before, I found them just getting worse and worse everytime. Ok...realistically everyone may just get a larger and more aggressive tyre fitted in order to trackle them. But in this way, it just further damage to track.....and this cycle keep repeat.

I wonder if there are not any large aggressive tyre (say, > 33' ), wouldn't it be better for the track condition ?

Let say if most of 4wd just use all-terrain tyre with size not larger than 31' then everyone share the same path. Then track can be preserved for longer and even 4wd with small tyre can still possible trackle them. Ask yourself how many time you get stuck because of deep ruts or serious track damage.......

But it is no doubt that the larger the tyre size, the better for rock crawling.

I apologize for my bad english but hope you guys can understand what I want to say. I really hope one day track can recover itself....................
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rusty - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 08:15

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 08:15
Yes some of the tracks maybe getting worse. But it might not be the tyres. It maybe the fact that there is more traffice on them.

Why is this you may ask? Well I would say it is those D/Heads from the National Parks office that keep shutting everything down. SO there are less and less place to actually drive.

"Lets save the bush for future generations." They say. Which generation I say. There is no plan to ever reopen them to the public. Also look at the size of them 100's of thousand's of sq kilometers. Far to big to walk around in. But can you drive through them NO WAY. We want to save them. from what, for who.

If people could use some of these locked up bush areas then maybe some of the other tracks wouldn't get so deteriorated.

Regards
Rusty
AnswerID: 14027

Follow Up By: Tony - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:51

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:51
your right Rusty, it's not the tyres it's the d/heads driving the vehicle that do most of the damage. And true about locking up tracks it puts a lot more traffic on the tracks that are open.

Not to mention the camping spots, ie Vic high country.

FollowupID: 8354

Reply By: Member - Peter- Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:13

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:13
sadly there are to many d/heads out there cutting up the track in the wet see the letter to the editor in the latest WESTERN 4 W DRIVER magazine regarding Carawine Gorge it is a discrace I would like to see more signs at the enterances to parks with some sort of code of conduct, and maybe a TV compain by CARM that reached the masses on what was not acceptable in state forests etc I think that some people need it spelt out for them like children ...Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 14044

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 15:46

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 15:46
I hate seeing tracks and campsites locked away but I think the 4WD fraternity has to shoulder some of the blame. A few years ago I was at Francois Peron NP in Shark Bay, great spot, 4WD only etc. Tracks are sandy, mostly semi-firm to firm with some soft patches. Also numerous Biridas (salt/clay pans) throughout the park. These are very delicate and once the surface crust is broken, they will take something like a thousand years to recover.

So, CALM have posted signs everywhere and in all the literature imploring 4WDrivers to stay off the biridas and that apart from ecological damage, you WILL get stuck. Also requests to lower tyre pressure whilst in the NP to reduce track damage etc.

You would think it couldn't be made clearer but whilst we were there we came across two 80 series bogged up to the door panels on a biridas. By the time they were recovered (after a great deal of effort by several parties), the damage caused to the biridas was disgusting. Not long after we saw a 4WD club enter the park and continue on there merry way without a single one of the 1/2 dozen or so vehicles lowering their tyre pressure.

This is just an example of some of the things I have seen my fellow 4WDriving enthusiast do. Luckily these attitudes seem to be in the minority but as usual, the rest of us will suffer the consequences.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 14070

Reply By: bruce.h - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 15:53

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 15:53
bog
tracks do not recover themselfs peolple are required to recover them,lots of groups have been formed to deal with these problems 4wd clubs & groups like track care(wa) deal with the very isues you are talking about & are constantly reparing damge done by the masses if you are truely concerned about this track look up your local club Or group ,get involved in repairing this track it will help keep it open Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 14072

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 17:08

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 17:08
1st, if we all used a AT less than 31, we would live in the bush as we would never get past the ruts....

Rusty for NPWS President!!!

COULDNT AGREE MORE!

Its not the tires, its not the cars, its the lack of places to go + morons with no knowledge on how to drive but foot to the floor and 50psi = PROBLEMS..

400 cars going up one track as its the only one open what do you expect? 1 car going down 400 tracks, well...

100's of thousands of square klms... we can access bollox all of it.... And it gets less by the day...

The 4wd Association is a toothless tiger much like the ACCC.

Fires recently havent helped things much.. They are going to go against us in the biggest way known..

Did you know there is a National Parks and Wildlife 4wd Club? and everyone thinks they hate us >:-p~~
AnswerID: 14083

Reply By: Kev. - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 18:02

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 18:02
In stead of trying to get people to limit the size of there rubber , they should invest in lockers.
My way of thinking is if you had all 4 wheels crawling over an obsticle there would be less damage done rather than spinning one or two wheels and digging the place up.

agree or disagree ??
AnswerID: 14090

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 22:00

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 22:00
Maybe, but you still have the problem of people with heavy feet, and Centipedes on... Ground wont last.

As I say more tracks to go down, the less traffic there will be on one track.. like load sharing.

100 cars all have to go down one track, its gonna get rough !
if they could all go to different places, or ways to get there, like 10 on each track, then logic says it shouldnt get as bad...

Yes No Maybe so?
FollowupID: 8405

Reply By: Beddo - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 22:18

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 22:18
Is it the NPWS who is closing tracks off or is it the pressure from large political greenie wilderness groups who make submissions to park plans of management etc. With the freedom of information Act go to the NPWS & just look at the list of submissions 4WD groups and other recreational user groups put in to plans of management compared to the greenie groups. There are not many submissions from the 4WD side or so - maybe you agree with the DRAFT plan and don't say so - but the greenie groups will always complain that more closures are needed and so the NPWS is pressured to do so ! SO MAKE SUBMISSIONS to draft plans of management supporting or not supporting; and also if you have problems with management issues you can direct letters to the local regional NPWS advisory committees (made up of different user group members including 4WD assoc.) - so have more say people - and as with all user groups it is always some idiot that wrecks it for the rest (trail bkes - some idiots take their baffles out too make them slightly more powerful & noisey - bleep es off the other user groups).
Maybe there should be a new park setup which is in between a NP or State Forest - no logging and zoning for different recreational pursuits - including rock crawling areas, enduro areas etc and also a recreational permit system where unregistered bikes can ride legally !!! This permit system could also pay for maintenance of tracks ??
AnswerID: 14115

Sponsored Links