Overheating.

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 07:16
ThreadID: 3559 Views:3511 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
To Truckster.
Have noticed that you have a overheating problem by looking at previous responses. As I have a similar situation with a 60 series 2H with after market turbo I was wondering if you or anyone else has gone down the track of boost pressures which can lead to over fueling and high exhaust temps. It has been suggested to me by two different places that if you run the boost at over 9lb and the exhaust is over 500 celsious that apart from overheating you can be heading for serious head damage. At this stage I have yet to have the necessary holes drilled to have a Pyrometer fitted etc and was wondering if this is the path to follow. I might add that the vehicle has a Garrett TO3 which is a water cooled Turbo and have had all the cooling system done, water pump - radiator - thermostat and head. It overheats going up long hills on hot days. It is also fitted with a oil cooler.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Yo Sam - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:50

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:50
Guys,
I have a toyota Hilux that had a similar problem. Would overheat on really hot days, especially when under load (i.e. going up hill or low range 4wd). Had the autoelectricain check things out, numerous mechanics, and then my mate suggested I check the viscous fan fluid. I did that and it was nearly empty, so I rang toyota and they told me it can disappear and that if there is little/no fliud in there when that car is under load on a hot day the fan won't spin fast enough. Well I don't normally trust toyota but I took there advise and filled it. I have had no problems since, and as I live in alice springs the truck is subjected to high temps all the time in summer. Hope this helps

Yo Sam
AnswerID: 14047

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 16:44

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 16:44
Isn't Alice Hot all year round!?!?!

Thanks for the idea, but yea have personally been there.. Done the complete system now apart from the guage in the dash. Which is what the VDO one is for.

Thanks again Mr for the idea, glad people are still poping ideas out they all help, if not me they will help someone else....
FollowupID: 8380

Reply By: Whit - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 17:26

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 17:26
Chris
I have a 60 series 2H landcruiser with after market Schwitzer turbo. It has been a problem overheating for years. i have tried everything to overcome the problem including pump & injectors, radiator recore, thermostats, water pump, viscous fan, injector timing and motor overhaul including new head and still I had not fixed the problem.I have probably tried more than most as I am in the automotive business.
I decided to check out radiators and found an aftermarket radiator(new) with more cooling fins per inch. After fitting the new radiator I drilled 3/16 hole in the thermostat, blocked off bypass and it seems to have fixed the problem it now runs cooler than ever before. Hope this helps.
Geoff
AnswerID: 14085

Follow Up By: David - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 17:49

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 17:49
I think Whit has hit the nail on the head- there are radiator cores and there are radiator cores......
Some years ago my brotherinlaw put a new core in his turbo diesel Hino truck- to fix overheating. New core was no better than the old core. Months later after trying everything else he found a dradiator guy who said he had a better core (don't know his name-it was in Tamworth)- it looked just about the same to me- but the transformation was incredible. Fixed his overheating INSTANTLY!!!! Everything else was a waste of time!!!
FollowupID: 8384

Follow Up By: Chris - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 06:59

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 06:59
You mentioned that apart from the new radiator etc, that you drilled a hole in the thermostat . The 2H runs a bypass thermostat that should block off the bypass once the vehicle reaches operating temp, so was wondering what the 3/16 hole does. The Toyota thermostat has a small hole in it already.
FollowupID: 8425

Follow Up By: David - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:07

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:07
The small hole gets water moving and will slow your warm up slightly, but get hot water to the thermostat sooner to open it sooner. Obviously once open it will do zilch.
FollowupID: 8438

Reply By: David - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:11

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:11
Hey Truckster- was your fan "roaring" ie: locking up whenever the engine started to get a bit warm?
And have you refitted it since getting it back from Berrima and if so when do you hear it cut in. Waiting with baited breath.....
Another alternative some people do is fit a fixed fan- I would not really want to go down that route as it'd be constantly noisy and waste fuel...
AnswerID: 14148

Follow Up By: Truckster - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 00:18

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 00:18
See other thread...

Also shall find out tomorrow, test run for the NEW WORKED fan!
FollowupID: 8491

Sponsored Links