'81 hilux locking hubs

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 14:34
ThreadID: 3567 Views:1908 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I'm hoping for some help, i just purchased a '81 hilux and had to replace the front wheel bearings, it was not until the weekend that i got bogged and descovered that the front hubs weren't locking in. I checked to make sure the transfer case is engaging and it is driving the front diff. I've obviously stuffed up when re assembling the front hubs but i'm not sure what ? cheers Ryan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 19:11

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 19:11
Ryan, Have had this problem once or twice when the locking mechanism is dismantled, while doing the bearings. I always leave them together, unless it all falls to pieces because of wear. Just take out the flange with "free-lock" bizzo on it, and check that the collar(with coarse outer, and fine inner spline) is moving in and out, as you turn "free-lock".

Another thing is, that collar can only go in 2 ways, you will notice that the outerhub has 2 "keyways" that don't have a centre spline. They are for where the mechanism grips that sliding collar. Now even I'm mixed up, oh, for a pen & paper!

Thinkif you can get it in wrong way, it just doesn't engage. If you didn't end up with some spare parts, then that may be your problem. Good luck, hooroo...
AnswerID: 14098

Sponsored Links