Calcium Deep-Cycle Batteries

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 14:37
ThreadID: 3568 Views:2526 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experiences with calcium acid deep cycle batteries as to longevity and recharging times from a vehicle's alternator (100 seies cruiser) in conjunction with a 200amp redarc switching system.
The battery I'm looking at is a Delkor?? 80amp.
Thanks for your replies.
Alpaca
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AK - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 21:48

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 21:48
Alpaca
I just finished installing a DBS in the suzuki on Sunday and I purchased a Delkor calcium 75A battery to act as the aux. I will be taking it out for a proper test in one and a half weeks time so ask me then how it performed with the fridge and being charged via the alternator. I did a brief test in the garage with the fridge on for 24 hrs then charged her up using the mains battery charger and everything went well.
Cheers
AK
AnswerID: 14110

Reply By: Michael - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 22:54

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 22:54
Alpaca
I reckon the Delkor would be a good choice. They are often used in hard to get at spaces as they are no-maintenance batteries. They don't spill acid over the paintwork as my present DC battery has and best of all they have a long shelf life. If you only use your traditional DC battery a few times a year then it will deteriorate very quickly. The Delkor will happily sit in storage for a prologed period provided it is fully charged. One downside, as far as I understand, is that if they are fully flattened then they need a substantial charge rate to kick them back into life. An alternator should handle that but your 4 amp charger wont.
One thing too with the 80 amp hour Delkor you are considering is its length-320mm I think. This may not fit in the accessory battery tray in the 100 series so check it out first if you haven't already
Michael
AnswerID: 14120

Reply By: Member - Bruce - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 05:08

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 05:08
I am currentlly runing 2 delkor bateries in my patrol. Had them nearly 2 years and they don't even look like giving up yet. Only problem I had was when I completly flatend the deep cycle battery over two months of continuous use. Brought it back to life by taking it out of the vehicle and puting it on a charger about a 4 amp for about two weeks. That has cured it. They are expensive compared to some other batteries but have been told i should get 4 years out of them. So far i am happy with them they are the calcium ones.
AnswerID: 14126

Follow Up By: shaky - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 13:40

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 13:40
Bruce,
have you measured the voltage on the Delkor after driving around town for a few days? I'm interested to see if they are in fact fully charging after having been used in deep cycle applications.

thanks

Steve
FollowupID: 9539

Reply By: shaky - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:28

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:28
Hi Alpaca, as I'm about to do the same on my diesel Jackeroo, I wanted to ask if you have set up your duel battery system and how it's all going.
thanks

Steve
AnswerID: 15656

Follow Up By: Member - Alpaca - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:58

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:58
Shaky,
Yes the system is installed andis working well, although only used once since installation. I had to use a 200amp redarc isolator for my vehicle but you may only need a 100amp unit (much cheaper) Installing the system was dead easy, Hardest part was getting the wiring to the back of the vehicle inside the chasis. Used a 7 wire trailer core and soldered all the wires together for heavy duty use and reduce voltage drop. I'm no expert on matters electrical and a mate gave me a hand but I could do it myself next time.
Good luck with the installation.
I did end up using thr Delkor calcium battery but only time will tell as to how well it will perform.
Alpaca
FollowupID: 9524

Sponsored Links