front recovery point on discovery 11

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 20:07
ThreadID: 3573 Views:3677 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Maybe slunnie,winaje,dolfn or anybody else on this forum with experience on disco 11's can assist with a question.What do you do for a front rated recovery point on the disco 2 ? When the car was standard a hook was to be found in the front bumper but i believe it to be more of a tow point than a "rated" recovery point.I have even used it for light recovery work.My new ARB steel bull bar covers this hook completely and i wouldn't want to use it in a heavy bog anyway.Made enquiries to arb northern in Thomastown who advised a company in Perth is making a special recovery bracket which hangs slightly down from the chassis so that the snatch strap will clear the skirt under the bullbar and this is the best solution for this vehicle.A standard recovery hook bolted to the chassis would still remain too high up behind the bullbar so would not be suitable.Does anybody have any better suggestions

thanks marcus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 07:53

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 07:53
Marcus, you are dead right about the original point. When I replaced mine it was bent and the holes had enlarged.
AnswerID: 14129

Reply By: dolfn - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:08

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:08
I have not had any probs with mine on the few occasions I have needed to use it. Only with a Snatch. So far.

My TJM steel BB does not cover the original hook!
AnswerID: 14135

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:10

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:10
I think it interesting companies dont think of things like that when they design the bars.

Both bars have made the std hook unuseable, and have no other options....

AnswerID: 14136

Reply By: Slunnie - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 00:00

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 00:00
Hi Marcus,

I have the ARB bar and have always used the bars shackle points for recovery, though I haven't had to do anything thats been harsh. I think ARB just don't want you to go silly with it, though the bars and mounts are supposed to be pretty strong for the D2. The only direct chassis recovery points I know of are made by ARB in Perth, and are made from 10mm plate and specifically for the D2 ARB bar. These points are bolted to the chassis where the Wombat bar mounts.AFAIK, at this stage this is the best solution that I know of for HD recovery unless you go custom and straight though the bullbar. If you are interested I think I may be able to get a set up from Melb in the next few weeks, and they were about $100 I think.

Regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 14205

Follow Up By: marcus - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 14:58

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 14:58
Thanks Slunnie,Didn't want to use the bars shackle points for anything too heavy duty so have ordered the chassis mounted plates through ARB and are coming from Perth.The existing design requires the cross member protection bar underneath to be removed but a new design is under way in a month allowing this bar to remain.Cost with freight from Perth to Melb is around $130 for a pair and they should just bolt in.ARB northern here in Melb are going to stock a few sets as they are the only real solution for heavy recovery.

marcus
FollowupID: 8527

Sponsored Links