Beachport to Robe or Robe to Beachport ?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 08:06
ThreadID: 3580 Views:1637 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Which way is the best and for what reason?.
Are there any probs at the moment going through there?.
And does the soft sand catch everyone out or is it passable without bogging?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:42

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:42
try hereAdelaide list

these blokes have been known to go out and have fun show ya around.

They also have trip notes on that shiat.
AnswerID: 14139

Reply By: Rob - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 16:32

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 16:32
We went through there - last year - in an 80 series NA diesel - heavily loaded with gear for a long trip. We went from north to south.

There certainly are some soft sections and we did bog on the beach
a couple of times - using around 15psi. A long handled shovel (or 2!)
is very useful - also an unhurried, put the billy on, attitude!

The main obstacles for us were a long straight track up onto the top of a dune from a beach. Fairly steep & sustained - in soft sand - but you could get a good run up off the firmer beach sand. Took us 2 attempts. There were several vehicles watching who could not make it (heh heh!).

The most difficult was a short steep dune - very soft sand - and a tricky dogleg turn just before - which makes a run up difficult. After many attemts - we got over by going down to around 8psi.

Having done the Canning, Simpson etc - this was our trickiest single dune crossing of them all! Just remember to consider your tyre pressures carefully and take a reliable air compressor. Also - the wind may shift the dunes around - so what I found difficult may now be easy!
Doing the route in the reverse direction would be easier.

Have fun - its a brilliant trip.

ROb
AnswerID: 14171

Reply By: Rick - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 18:07

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 18:07
Voxson,

Go either way; it don't matter really. What are ya gunna do when you get to either end? Chances are you will turn around & retrace your wheelmarks, so that is primarily why I say it does not matter.

My advice is to ask at either end before you commence: Jarmo's servo at Beachport, Rob at the Ampol servo in Robe. Ask them for maps also.

Yes, the sand will be soft in spots, but you have read plenty on this site to know how to handle that. Any high clearance 4x4 will get through, driven sensibly....unless it is winter & spring when high seas and high tides would make this a suicide trip.

Have fun...........

Rick
AnswerID: 14184

Reply By: Voxson - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 12:21

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 12:21
Thanks for info... We are leaving soon and will start at Beachport...
I will get a map from the servo as stated....

Regards/////////.........
AnswerID: 14229

Reply By: Voxson - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 21:33

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 21:33
Ok... Returned from out trip today......
We left Beachport at 8.30am and had a hassle free run all way to Robe..
The length of Misery beach was very soft (about 1km) and the angle was steep towards the water which was close at that point. The whole way through there the steering was turned about half lock to the right and still creeping towards the ocean at times... No hassles but had to keep the throttle down and stay alert...
the Nissan Patrol i was with (RB30) actually bogged half way along but managed to restart without digging up the beach...
Had to recover a badly bogged 80 series Landcruiser in the dunes and got to Robe at 12.30pm....

Cheers........
AnswerID: 14325

Sponsored Links